1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 8:21 AM by TaylorJMcBride

Program monitor going black

benwinter Level 2

Whenever I switch to other video programs (After Effects, DaVinci Resolve) and then switch back to Premiere, all video playback is disabled and I get black monitors until I quit and restart Premiere. It's as if other programs are "grabbing" the video playing ability and Premiere is unable to take it back. Is anyone else having this issue? It's terrible because it completely ruins the point of Dynamic Link; I can't open AE and work on anything without knowing I'll have to quit and restart my Premiere project to keep working.

I'm on a Mac Pro 2010

GTX 980

OS 10.12.4

CC 2017.1.2

• 1. Re: Program monitor going black
          Jeff Bugbee Adobe Community Professional

Are you using an output device such as a AJA IOXT or Blackmagic Ultrastudio?

When you say "black monitors" do you mean your entire monitor is going black or is nothing playing back in your program and preview windows?

Can you detail the steps exactly to the point where your monitors go black and unresponsive?

• 2. Re: Program monitor going black
            benwinter Level 2

No output devices being used. Only viewing on a single monitor. When it goes black, I mean the program and preview monitors go black and refuse to play video. Audio plays fine.

If another program that uses video is open, playback will go black in one of two ways:

1. Immediately after I switch back to Premiere from that program;

2. After a certain amount of time using that program open in the background. Usually 15-20 minutes.

For example, I will edit something, then export it using Media Encoder. When the video finishes encoding and I switch back to Premiere, playback will almost certainly be black every time.

• 3. Re: Program monitor going black

How do your Premiere - Preferences - Playback settings look?

playback.png

• 4. Re: Program monitor going black
                benwinter Level 2

Like this...

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 11.09.10 AM.jpg

• 5. Re: Program monitor going black

Any reason you have Mercury Transmit disabled? If not, can you try enabling it then completely quit Premiere and reopen?

Go ahead and uncheck Disable Video output in background as well.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Program monitor going black
                    benwinter Level 2

I've disabled just the video background option for now and it seems to have solved my issue. I'm not seeing the lag typical of returning to Premiere from another program. I didn't have Mercury Transmit disabled for any particular reason but would rather it be off if I don't need it. Will update if the problem returns.

• 7. Re: Program monitor going black
                      benwinter Level 2

Nope, unfortunately this has not worked. I have enabled Mercury Transmit and disabled the background video output option. As soon as I open another video program, Premiere's playback will blink random black frames during playback for a few minutes before going black completely.

• 8. Re: Program monitor going black

Make sure to leave Disable Video output in background UNCHECKED.

Have you reset your Premiere preference yet by exiting the program, holding option, and relaunching Premiere?

• 9. Re: Program monitor going black
                          benwinter Level 2

Hi Jeff, I've reset my preferences many times trying to troubleshoot this, doesn't seem to affect anything.

I have had the "Disable video output" option UNCHECKED as you suggested today.

When I opened up Quicktime to check a video file, then switched back to Premiere and tried to play my timeline, I got these weird horizontal black lines on my playback monitor like this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 6.16.40 PM.jpg

Then when I quit Quicktime and switched back to Premiere again, the program monitor crashed completely to black and would not play any video.

• 10. Re: Program monitor going black

This looks to be a video card related issue. Do you have the proper drivers for your GTX 980 and your version of Sierra?

This thread might be worth looking through nVidia Web Driver users: DO NOT update to Sierra 10.12.5 | MacRumors Forums

• 11. Re: Program monitor going black
                              benwinter Level 2

Yes, my drivers are updated, and I haven't upgraded to 10.12.5 yet, I'm still on 10.12.4, so the drivers are OK.

I am exhausted with Adobe telling me it's a graphics card issue and update my drivers. That's all i ever hear from them, but my drivers are always up-to-date, and my hardware setup is exactly the same as most other power users I run into (who don't have a fancy new trashcan Mac). And yet compatibility with Premiere has always been spotty. nVidia updates their drivers regularly for new OS versions. Premiere will come out with an update, and features will break which then inexplicably get blamed on the graphics card.

This has been happening since the last Premiere update, along with a new problem involving incredibly long export times, but I suppose I'll have to create a new thread for that one.

• 12. Re: Program monitor going black
                                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi BenWinter,

I am exhausted with Adobe telling me it's a graphics card issue and update my drivers.

• What you've got is an aging Mac system that is now approaching 8 years old.
                                • The 8-year-old computer is running a NVIDIA GPU, not common in modern Macs.
                                • The 8-year-old computer is running a modern version of OS X.

I wouldn't recommend running this setup, actually.

My conclusions are:

• I do suspect your issues stem from a combination of your eight-year-old machine, a newer version of OS X, and using a GPU brand that is now uncommonly used with Mac OS X.
                                • A newer Mac with the same version of OS X, using a more common AMD GPU may give you more reliable results should you continue to wish to use Apple hardware.
                                • The basic ROT amongst editors is that you should purchase a new computer every 5 years unless your workflow has not changed (you don't edit with 4K, for example).
                                • Successive versions of Premiere Pro may give you more issues if you must hang on to this machine.

If you simply can't afford a new machine.

• Don't edit larger formats, use proxies
                                • Roll back to a previous version OS X
                                • Roll back to a previous version of Premiere Pro

If you downgrade Premiere Pro or simply install and run another version, do you still get the same problem?

Thanks,
                                Kevin

• 13. Re: Program monitor going black
                                  benwinter Level 2

Thanks for the reply Kevin. It's a bit disappointing. Nowhere in the Premiere system requirements does it mention any of this. Apple stills lists 2010 Mac Pro towers as fully capable and supported under 10.12 Sierra. And these problems have been happening for years. At what point did my system become obsolete? It beats lower-configuration Mac Pro trashcans in benchmarks. I hope you understand why it would appear crazy to tell us that we need to throw out and replace expensive machines that are not only fully capable of doing the work, but currently certified by the manufacturer to run the latest operating system with no issue.

I have worked with previous versions of Premiere when I can. But thanks to the Adobe subscription model, I find it absurd that I have to keep paying even if I want to use outdated software. Will you provide technical support for my older machine on an older version running a previous version of OS X? Or will this be the mantra going forward, that I just need to upgrade? If having the latest and greatest hardware is a minimum requirement, that's a far cry from the information that's currently being disseminated.

• 14. Re: Program monitor going black

benwinter  wrote

Apple stills lists 2010 Mac Pro towers as fully capable and supported under 10.12 Sierra.

2010 Mac Pro towers contained AMD GPUs. You've installed third party Nvidia GPUs. Apple is notorious for not playing well with third party hardware. Nvidia doesn't even release OSX drivers, the only way to get updated drivers is relying on enthusiasts to cobble together working patches.

• 15. Re: Program monitor going black
                                      benwinter Level 2

Jeff Bugbee  wrote

benwinter   wrote

Apple stills lists 2010 Mac Pro towers as fully capable and supported under 10.12 Sierra.

2010 Mac Pro towers contained AMD GPUs. You've installed third party Nvidia GPUs. Apple is notorious for not playing well with third party hardware. Nvidia doesn't even release OSX drivers, the only way to get updated drivers is relying on enthusiasts to cobble together working patches.

That's not true at all. Nvidia releases updated drivers for OS X often within 24 hours of a new OS X update. I've never needed to use a patch or any "enthusiast" solution to use my graphics card, ever.

nVidia released drivers for Mac for its newest cards as recently as this past April:

Nvidia releases beta Pascal GPU drivers for old Mac Pros (and Hackintoshes) | Ars Technica

Why have I only ever had problems with Adobe products, not C4D, not Resolve, not 3DSmax, not Flame, just Adobe?

• 16. Re: Program monitor going black

From the release notes page:

Supported Products

GeForce 600 Series:

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce 200 Series:

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce 100 Series:

GeForce GT 120

GeForce 8 Series:

GeForce 8800 GT

Quadro Series:

Quadro K5000 for Mac, Quadro 4000 for Mac

Quadro FX Series:

Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX 5600

The GTX 980 (your card) is not on the list of supported cards. The 980 is a Maxwell architecture card, the driver you linked is for Pascal.

• 17. Re: Program monitor going black

Hi BenWinter,

I'm speaking to you as an editor, not just a rep from Adobe.

Nowhere in the Premiere system requirements does it mention any of this. Apple stills lists 2010 Mac Pro towers as fully capable and supported under 10.12 Sierra.

Yes, many kinds of hardware are, of course, still supported but seem to work with more unexpected behavior has time goes on. That's the point I'm trying to make. I've worked at not only Adobe, but Apple too, and was a pro editor for decades. However, it's fine to be skeptical of my advice.

And these problems have been happening for years. At what point did my system become obsolete?

Which problems, black screens? Black screens typically indicate GPU issues, usually the hardware is either not communicating well with the software (driver or architecture related) or there is not enough VRAM in the GPU for the project and timeline you are working on. You may be experiencing the former as the GPU seems to have adequate VRAM.

It beats lower-configuration Mac Pro trashcans in benchmarks. I hope you understand why it would appear crazy to tell us that we need to throw out and replace expensive machines that are not only fully capable of doing the work, but currently certified by the manufacturer to run the latest operating system with no issue.

This is only my opinion. I am very skeptical of running older hardware with newer operating systems and software. That's all.

I find it absurd that I have to keep paying even if I want to use outdated software.

One of the conundrums of video editing software, I'm afraid. Software in successive versions increases its hardware requirements as time moves forward. Therefore, you eventually have to update hardware to keep pace.

For my PC, I recently had to replace an expensive GPU because the architecture is no longer supported. It's around five years old and looks ready to be replaced. Even though it's running OK, I suspect the drives might fail, cooling may be inadequate as I am cutting larger formats, etc.

Will you provide technical support for my older machine on an older version running a previous version of OS X? Or will this be the mantra going forward, that I just need to upgrade?

Yes, we will provide support as long as you are operating under system requirements. As an editor, however, I tend to be somewhat opinionated about what works best considering their gear, source footage, and workflow. I'm sorry if I confused you along those lines, but we can definitely take it from here to keep your system running and operating as expected.

Thanks,
                                          Kevin

• 18. Re: Program monitor going black

Hello JeffB,

Thanks for your input. I have found that the GTX 980 is a GPU that tends to get a lot of support calls. I'm not sure if it's because it's a popular GPU or that some people are using the wrong drivers, as you mentioned.

Thanks,
                                            Kevin

• 19. Re: Program monitor going black
                                              benwinter Level 2

Thanks Kevin. I suppose where I'd like to start is figuring out why it is taking about 20 minutes to render out a 15 second video in AME. If I click "export" the thing takes only 30 seconds, If I click "Queue in AME" it takes multiple seconds per frame and an absurdly long time to render out.

• 20. Re: Program monitor going black

Is the sequence very effect heavy or does it contains any LUTS or third party plugins?

I've noticed AME will occasionally perform worse under certain project conditions.

• 21. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                  benwinter Level 2

Yes a LUT is being applied to all clips.

i've always assumed there was some serious underlying incompatibility with the Lumetri tools and GPUs.

See this thread where people both Mac and PC are having the same problems as me. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2259555#access_token=eyJ4NXUiOiJpbXNfbmExLWtleS0xLmNlciIsI mFsZyI6IlJTMjU2In0.eyJpZCI6IjE…

This is why I'm highly skeptical that my having an older machine and different GPU is the source of my problems. In fact these issues only crop up for me when applying color effects through Lumetri. what good is upgrading if having a newer machine and even a PC results in the exact same problems? Clearly this is a software issue.

• 22. Re: Program monitor going black

Have you copied the LUT files from the Premiere Lumetri/LUTs/Technical folder, over to the Media Encoder Lumetri/LUTs/Technical folder?

• 23. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                      benwinter Level 2

Jeff Bugbee  wrote

Have you copied the LUT files from the Premiere Lumetri/LUTs/Technical folder, over to the Media Encoder Lumetri/LUTs/Technical folder?

Now that's an interesting suggestion, one I have not heard before. Can you expound? I'm assuming those are the default LUTs? I am using custom LUTs I have created in Resolve. I import them into Lumetri using the [Custom] browse function in the dropdown menu. Do those need to go in some special folder?

I've had this problem before just using the Lumetri plugin to make adjustments without a LUT, so I'm not sure that LUTs are the source of the issue here, but I'm willing to try anything.

• 24. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                        benwinter Level 2

Kevin-Monahan  wrote

Hello JeffB,

Thanks for your input. I have found that the GTX 980 is a GPU that tends to get a lot of support calls. I'm not sure if it's because it's a popular GPU or that some people are using the wrong drivers, as you mentioned.

Thanks,
                                                        Kevin

Kevin,

It's pretty clear to me that you are getting a lot of support calls about the 980 because it's a popular GPU that Premiere, specifically the Lumetri accelerated effects, does not play well with, for a specific unknown problem with the software that nobody seems interested in fixing.

This error message is often the precursor to a black screen on my machine.

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.56.11 PM.jpg

Here is a video from months ago of a different user, on a WINDOWS machine, experiencing the render error when switching away from Premiere to another application—and lo, his preview monitor goes black. Premiere error -1609629695.... Gpu rendering, memory, Lumetri, Luts... who knows! - YouTube

I have been scouring these forums for a long while searching for this issue, and found to my dismay, that there are lots of other users from both Mac and Windows machines having the same issue I'm having, but the threads end without a solution. The common denominator, I've found, are GTX-series cards, and either Lumetri plugin or titles being used in a project.

Error Compiling Movie with GTX 960 and Premiere Pro CC

Error Compiling Movie & AE.ADBE Lumetri Error on newer GTX GPUs

Error Compiling Movie GPU/Lumetri with Premiere 2015.3 and GTX 570

User miker63693834 for example confirms having the same exact black screen issue I'm having, and this was 3 months ago.

I appreciate that Adobe does not list 900-series cards as supported, but the latest cards you do list as supported are the 700 series cards which are over three years old.

I understand the insistence to update to the latest hardware, but has Adobe even tested these newer cards as compatible? There doesn't seem to be any guarantee that a newer GPU will work without issue.

So either I go out and buy a new machine and just cross my fingers that Premiere works, or I at least for now try to pursue some kind of resolution with Adobe that fixes this issue with GTX series cards for me and apparently a lot of other people. I'm hoping we can work towards a resolution here.

And now the ol' Columbo "one more thing..." I have noted in one of those threads that at least one user has resolved his issue by "de-overclocking" his graphics card that came overclocked out of the box. I do have access to overclock controls through Boot Camp so I will check if my card came overclocked out of the box and see if removing those settings will fix the issue. But for the sake of my own sanity I have to point at these threads and say "I am not crazy" and I think while I agree with you that not having the newest machine is not ideal, this is clearly not the symptom of an old machine, and at the very least the evidence mostly points to a bug with Premiere and modern GTX cards.

If that is the case, I also saw in another thread that you alerted the engineering team to the problem as far back as October of last year, so my hopes are pretty much all but extinguished that this problem will be resolved, and I"m really not sure where I can go from here.

• 25. Re: Program monitor going black

Browse to the following locations:

/Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.app/Contents/Lumetri/LUTs/Technical

/Applications/Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017/Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017.app/Contents/Lumetri/LUTs/Technical

Make sure your custom LUTS are in both locations. Restart both apps and try your export again (after resolving your driver issue, that is the most important problem)

• 26. Re: Program monitor going black

Bear with me here benwinter: but you have the wrong GPU drivers installed.

"As Nvidia GTX 9XX series cards require non-Apple drivers to be used in OS X"

Complete List of Nvidia OS X Drivers for GTX 960, 970, 980, 980Ti & TITAN X: New web page added to site – Latest Apple M…

You're going to need to install working drivers. This page has them, but be certain to read the site carefully and download the correct ones.

Links to download Nvidia Quadro & Geforce Driver and CUDA Driver for Mac Pro users

"In order to get full GPU acceleration from your Nvidia GTX 9XX GPU (960, 970, 980, 980 Ti or TITAN X) you will need to install both the correct version of the Nvidia Quadro & Geforce Driver and CUDA Driver for Mac."

Here's another guide on how to install a GTX 980: How to Install a Standard PC Nvidia GTX GPU in a Mac Pro: Using an unflashed GTX TITAN X, 980 Ti, 980, 970 or 960 in a M…

I would be extremely curious to know if installing the correct drivers resolves most of your issues.

• 27. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                              benwinter Level 2

Hi Jeff, I just tried that real quick and I'm still getting crazy absurd render times and the preview window just blacked out on me again. I think I've narrowed it to a specific bug with Premiere and GTX cards as I noted in my previous post and I'm crossing my fingers for a helpful answer from Kevin that moves this forward. Thanks for the help though.

• 28. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                                benwinter Level 2

Jeff Bugbee  wrote

Bear with me here benwinter: but you have the wrong GPU drivers installed.

"As Nvidia GTX 9XX series cards require non-Apple drivers to be used in OS X"

Complete List of Nvidia OS X Drivers for GTX 960, 970, 980, 980Ti & TITAN X: New web page added to site – Latest Apple M…

You're going to need to install working drivers. This page has them, but be certain to read the site carefully and download the correct ones.

Links to download Nvidia Quadro & Geforce Driver and CUDA Driver for Mac Pro users

"In order to get full GPU acceleration from your Nvidia GTX 9XX GPU (960, 970, 980, 980 Ti or TITAN X) you will need to install both the correct version of the Nvidia Quadro & Geforce Driver and CUDA Driver for Mac."

Here's another guide on how to install a GTX 980: How to Install a Standard PC Nvidia GTX GPU in a Mac Pro: Using an unflashed GTX TITAN X, 980 Ti, 980, 970 or 960 in a M…

I would be extremely curious to know if installing the correct drivers resolves most of your issues.

I'm confused how you know I have the wrong version installed without even knowing what version I'm running?

I'm currently on 378.05.05.25f01 which is the latest for 10.12.6, and CUDA 8.0.90, which is also correct for Sierra and up-to-date.

Access to the correct drivers is pretty common knowledge among us Nvidia on older Macs folks. Appreciate the effort though.

• 29. Re: Program monitor going black

benwinter, you are using the wrong drivers. The drivers you listed, 378.05.05.25f01, are NOT for the GTX 900 series. There are not currently 3rd party drivers available for 10.12.6 yet, only 10.12.5.

I assure you, if you get the correct drivers installed, you are going to experience far fewer problems.

• 30. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                                    benwinter Level 2

Jeff, where are you getting your information? Not only are they the correct drivers, but when I started this thread I was running 10.12.4 with the correct drivers for that version, so this is clearly not a drivers issue.

10.12.6 has been supported by Nvidia as far back as July. Discussion on mac forums has already moved to when 10.13 support is coming..

• 31. Re: Program monitor going black

I'm not going to comment further on this but if you have installed drivers from the official Nvidia website for a GTX 980 on a Mac (which you said you have), then you have the wrong drivers installed. Nvidia does not offer any official drivers for the GTX 900 series, let alone the GTX 980. You have to install third party drivers that I linked previously.

You can blame Adobe all you want, but until you install the correct drivers, you are going to continue to experience issues. You may have lucked out in the past but right now, not having the correct drivers is the primary cause of your blackouts.

• 32. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                                        benwinter Level 2

Thanks Jeff but you've been very badly misinformed.

if you have installed drivers from the official Nvidia website for a GTX 980 on a Mac (which you said you have), then you have the wrong drivers installed. Nvidia does not offer any official drivers for the GTX 900 series, let alone the GTX 980. You have to install third party drivers that I linked previously.

MacVidCards who flashed my card lists my version as the correct version for 10.12.6. Drivers - MacVidCards.com

Again, I ask, where do you get your information saying my driver is not compatible?

There are no third-party drivers. There are only Nvidia drivers. You may be getting confused with Hackintosh users who modify kexts to get them to install on their machines. I do not own a hackintosh so this irrelevant to this.

10.12.6 has been supported by Nvidia as far back as July. Discussion on mac forums has already moved to when 10.13 support is coming..

Again, appreciate your help, but do you even own one of these cards?

• 33. Re: Program monitor going black

You are free to check the "Supported Products" tab on the driver download page: NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce macOS Driver Release 378.05.05.25f01

• 34. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                                            benwinter Level 2

Thanks Jeff. That would be relevant if my problem wasn't happening on Windows machines with GTX cards too. See my previous post. Again, this is not a mac drivers issue. Thanks though.

• 35. Re: Program monitor going black

How is "your product does not show up on the supported products" page not relevant?

• 36. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                                                benwinter Level 2

Relevant to the topic, irrelevant to the solution. Because the same behavior surfaces on Windows machines.

• 37. Re: Program monitor going black

Sorry for your continuing issues, benwinter. I operate on Mac OS X and have no troubles with exporting 4K sequences with a much lower powered NVIDIA GPU than the 1080. I will share my personal workflow and you can see if it might work for you. I realize that this may not assist with all your issues, like app switching and blank screens. BTW, file any bugs here.

• First of all, I have an underpowered 2013 Mac Book Pro. I have 16 GB RAM and a NVIDIA 650M, which has around 1 GB VRAM.
                                                                                  • My workflow is very strict, employing the concept of "smart rendering" to speed up exporting and to provide a more reliable method of doing so. Caution: this workflow takes longer at the head end and generates additional files which impact storage.
                                                                                  • My files are typically H.264 4K files from my iPhone, DSLRs and still images from both the iPhone and the DSLR. These files are often pre-processed via ingest or in After Effects by me prior to being imported to my project. They are exported as ProRes 422.
                                                                                  • Many of these files video need stabilization. I pre-process these files with Warp Stabilizer and a one pass Lumetri color grade (so I don't have to do so later in Premiere Pro). I process these files in After Effects exported as ProRes 422, then import them and cut them into the sequence.
                                                                                  • Any other files are transcoded to a mezannine codec, like ProRes 422, ideally with a color grade that I have already loaded and approved.
                                                                                  • I create slide shows in separate sequences with my stills and export each slide show as ProRes 422 and cut it back into the master sequence.
                                                                                  • Other transcoded or processed footage is added to the Timeline transcoded as ProRes 422.
                                                                                  • I add effects, make additional grades, add titles. After changing Sequence Settings > Video Previews > Preview File Format, setting them to ProRes 422, I render out any additional files to become ProRes 422 preview files.
                                                                                  • If I have a lot of editing to do, rather than string out, I create proxies. If not, I don't bother. Proxies are never H.264 for performance purposes.
                                                                                  • At this point, you should note that my workflow contains a lot of preprocessing, transcoding, and avoidance of processing of those items during the export process which can overwhelm the GPU: scaling, frame rate conversion. color space conversion, blending modes, or other items mentioned in this post: Mercury, CUDA, and what it all means
                                                                                  • Bottom line: In the end, my Timeline is made up from ProRes 422, not a Long GOP clip or render file in sight.
                                                                                  • In the end, my entire Timeline is either native ProRes 422 or has been rendered as ProRes 422.
                                                                                  • I export to AME as ProRes 422 4K with no scaling, NOT H.264. This export is only a "copy" not an encode and should process quickly.
                                                                                  • With the ProRes export, create any files you need for distribution, like H.264 or HEVC for websites. You can even upload this ProRes file to YouTube. It may take longer but will be at top quality.

After trying this workflow, are you able to export reliably? Are you still seeing black screens when switching applications?

Thanks,
                                                                                  Kevin

Note: others reading this thread can use other mezzanine codecs instead of ProRes 422, like DNxHD/HR or Cineform if using Windows.

• 38. Re: Program monitor going black

MacVidCards who flashed my card lists my version as the correct version for 10.12.6. Drivers - MacVidCards.com

This GPU was one that was originally one meant for PC and was "flashed" for Mac? Can't you use one that was originally manufactured for use in a Mac?

You see users having issues by using a GPU manufactured for use in a PC in their Macs from time to time, so I feel you cannot discount it. Example: Updating to OS X 10.11 with Flashed Nvidia GPUs in a Mac Pro: Detailed update instructions – Latest Apple Mac Pro News &…

You seem very intent on saying that your GPU is not an issue, however, the more I hear about it, the more I really think it is at the heart of your problems. I do think that you may have to test with another GPU, (or test with other driver versions) to fully get at the issue you seem to be having. A "flashed" GPU originally intended for a PC in an 8-year-old Mac sounds like it's something I would not trust in my own workflow.

Thanks,
                                                                                    Kevin

• 39. Re: Program monitor going black
                                                                                      benwinter Level 2

Kevin,

I think I've just made an important breakthrough. When I remove the Lumetri effect from all my clips and try to export again, my render times return to normal and Premiere is stable.

You see users having issues by using a GPU manufactured for use in a PC in their Macs from time to time, so I feel you cannot discount it. Example: Updating to OS X 10.11 with Flashed Nvidia GPUs in a Mac Pro: Detailed update instructions – Latest Apple Mac Pro News &…

That's an article explaining how to enable the boot flag after updating. I don't see it describing any problems with the performance of the card. Enabling the boot flag isn't even necessary.

1. If the GPU were the issue, I would expect to see GPU issues crop up in other applications. This is not the case. It's only Premiere, and it's only Lumetri. Other GPU-accelerated effects don't cause the problem.

2. Again, and I can't stress this enough, The same exact symptoms crop up in Windows machines using the same series of graphics cards, including the 570 which Adobe lists as compatible.

3. If I avoid using the Lumetri tool. everything is fine.

There is more evidence at this point that points to a fundamental bug in Lumetri than the assumption that a flashed card is causing problems.

I appreciate the instinct to look at a card that has been modified as the culprit. That may hang over all future support requests, I get it. I would point at it too if I were in your position. If I had the money to throw around, I would buy a new machine and test it. But the behavior does not point to that as the issue. The Lumetri plugin is causing problems with this group of graphics cards on both PC and Mac machines.

If running a flashed card on an older mac disqualifies me from raising the issue, fine, then I guess that's something I have to deal with on my own, but it seems so obvious to me that this is an Adobe/Lumetri problem, and I'm befuddled as to how one can look at the evidence I've presented and come to any other conclusion.

Limiting the render responsibility on AME has been my policy too, but I was really hoping this did not extend to Lumetri adjustments; I don't know how I'm going to get along without being able to make small exposure adjustments to individual clips. I just want to make the point that this is happening to a broad swath of users using the same GPU and that this is not Mac-dependent—and want to inquire if Adobe is looking into this at all?

1 2 Previous Next