• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Intel i7 7800x vs i7 7820

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my PC and is currently looking to a Asus x299 Mobo with 32 Gb ram.

Will moving from an i7 7800 6 core CPU to i7 7820 8 core CPU be worth the extra money?

The 7820 is 65% more expensive than 7800 here in Norway

/Frode

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal, Frode:

What is in your current desktop PC, in terms of the CPU, memory, disks and GPU? If those components are fairly recent and higher-end, then you may be able to hold onto your current config for a while longer. That's because in terms of the total cost of this platform upgrade, that i7-7800K may not be sufficiently more powerful than your current CPU platform to justify the total cost of this upgrade - CPU, motherboard and RAM combined. In fact, you might have to spend even more than what the i7-7820K costs (CPU-wise) to get a sufficiently more powerful CPU that justifies such a high total cost.

And if your current PC uses DDR3 RAM, you will have to replace that in addition to the CPU and motherboard since the X299 boards require DDR4 RAM, and you cannot carry over your existing DDR3 RAM to such a new build.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randall, thank you for answering.

My current setup is based on a 2010 setup with i7 960 on a Gigabyte EX58 Mobo, 12Gb Ram

I have upgraded with ssd disks and a GeForce GTX 1070, so I'm throwing out all but cabinet, PSU (1kw), GPU and disks.

Also planning on adding a M2.

The base setup has done it's deed for many years, so no regrets for retiring them.

The Videowork I'm doing is mostly acion camera shot in 2.7k (Gopro) Recently mooved from Elements to Pro cc

/Frode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frode,

In your case, then, it's more of a judgment call:

Is it really worth the additional $200 USD (out of a budget of around $900-ish to $1,100-ish total) for the extra two cores?

Go with the 7800K if you really need an update right away. Or pick the 7820K if you're willing to hold on a couple of months longer.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for you inputRandall.

I'll go for the better CPU, hoping the setup will live as long as my old (:

/Frode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines