• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I seeing a message "Preview unavailable for this file".?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using LR 4 on my iMac. I can import and edit files from my Canon EOS 60D. However when I download a card to my desktop from a Canon EOS 80D and try and import the files  I get a message in the library " Preview unavailable for this file".

I am guessing that LR 4 does not support this new Canon camera. Is that the case ?

I do have a disk for LR 5, which I own and can install, will this solve the issue ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

No LR 5 will not solve it for you. You need Lightroom version 6.5 (or higher. 6.12 is current) to be able to read raw files from the 80D.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

You have three options-

1. Buy the Upgrade of perpetual Lr  version 6.0 and update to 6.12

2. Start a Subscription to the Creative Cloud Photography plan (for both Lightroom-CC2015.12 and Photoshop-2017)

3. Download and run the free 'Adobe DNG Converter' that will convert a folder of files from CR2 to DNG raw and allow you to Import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No LR 5 will not solve it for you. You need Lightroom version 6.5 (or higher. 6.12 is current) to be able to read raw files from the 80D.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

You have three options-

1. Buy the Upgrade of perpetual Lr  version 6.0 and update to 6.12

2. Start a Subscription to the Creative Cloud Photography plan (for both Lightroom-CC2015.12 and Photoshop-2017)

3. Download and run the free 'Adobe DNG Converter' that will convert a folder of files from CR2 to DNG raw and allow you to Import to v4

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought and installed the perpetual LR 6. Adobe sales were not that cooperative, for sales, or supporting perpetual upgrades at this point. Only offering cc subscriptions . However based on my inquires over the past two weeks they did sell be a LP perpetual 6 upgrade.

I tried this version but it still won't preview my Canon 80D files. So I will go ahead and upgrade the LR 6 to an LR 6.12. And hopefully this will work.

Keep you posted and thanks for the direction / solution to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing LR 6 is a two part process:

1. Install the 6.0 release from the Adobe website

2. Patch the install to the current version (6.12 in this case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manic Joe ,

How do I "patch" the install ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone,

Success, I was able to download, install LR 6.12 and the 80D files can now be read.

Thanks for the guidance.

RB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you are all up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone!

As it was explained earlier on this forum in order to Preview some RAW files on LR 5, I Downloaded and run the free 'Adobe DNG Converter' that will convert a folder of files from CR2 to DNG raw, but still my files are still cannot be read or previewed.

My RAW files are taken with alpha Sony 7II. I tried to update the software, but Adobe gives me only the option to buy Creative Clouds. But I don't want to subscribe to offered plan. Anyone knows how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
my files are still cannot be read

Did you successfully convert the files to the DNG format?

Do you know the folder that the DNG files are stored?

The "..cannot be read.."  error message is 99% meaning that the DESTINATION that you are trying to COPY the files to is not available for various reasons. One reason is that the folder destination does not have full READ/WRITE permissions. Check your 'destination' details in the Import window if you are using the "Copy" or "Move" options.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines