• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

time to update my storage

Advocate ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4k footage and my now more extensive use of cineform codec means my 7x2tb raid 5 is now no longer cutting the mustard.

Its running on an areca 1223 8i with sata drives on windows  (HGST enterprise).

I tend to do small projects but end up keeping quite a lot of media, filling up my raid. Problem is that I dip into this media quite frequently, so it needs to stay on a relatively fast drive. 

I could ditch the raid altogether, or replace the drives with say 4x6tb drives giving me room to keep adding. or I could go to raid 0, and get used to doing daily backups (I've had a bad experience with raid 10, was a waste of time when it came to data security).

I'm open to ideas, though - like an external solution with a more modern file system....?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not be using RAID 5 for video data.  It is not good for sequential data.  Since you have an Areca controller go with RAID 3 or 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes bill, it was a multipurpose drive at first, I weighed the pros and cons of raid 5 vs 3 seeing as I also had tonnes of small files.

As I'm now doing more video when I create a new array I'll probably do raid3.

But still need to decide which drives to use and whether an external solution would make more sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines