Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Difference between Adaptive Form and Form components in AEM

Level 2

Hi,

I can see the below two options in the Sidekick in AEM 6.1

a. AdaptiveForm

b. Form

Can i know the difference between the two?

See attached screenshot

Regards,

Manas

Forms.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, the other "Forms" component existed before adaptive forms were introduced. Adaptive forms is a lot more capable.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Administrator

Please see this documentation :- AEM 6.0 Forms Help | Introduction to authoring adaptive forms and AEM 6.2 Forms Help | Introduction to authoring adaptive forms

// It talks about Adaptive form.

The adaptive forms feature of Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) forms allows you to create engaging, responsive, and adaptive forms that automatically render as PDF or HTML5 based on device and browser settings. Adaptive forms dynamically adapt to user responses by adding or removing fields or sections based on user response.

With adaptive forms, you can break down a form into logical sections, which enables end users to focus on filling out one section at a time. In addition, you can leverage the default form templates supplied with AEM forms, use existing Adobe XML or XFA templates, or create your own templates from scratch.

Added Later: - "Forms" component existed before adaptive forms were introduced. Adaptive forms is a lot more capable

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Hi kautuksahni,

Thanks for the Reply.

it does help in clarifying the Adaptive Forms.

But the other "Form" component group which is also available.

Is it something which existed before Adaptive Form was introduced and does not have all the benefits of the Adaptive Form?

Regards,

Manas

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, the other "Forms" component existed before adaptive forms were introduced. Adaptive forms is a lot more capable.

Level 2

Thanks Khushwant.

There is one more clarification i need help with.

I now understand the difference between "Adaptive Form" and "Form" components.

Now have a question on AEM Forms.

If my understanding in correct "AEM forms" (previously life cycle) is a separate  product all together and needs a separate licence.

If i have an existing AEM licence i can use either "Adaptive Form" or "Form" components without an extra licence based on my needs.

Regards,

Manas

Level 10

You are correct - with standard AEM lic - you can use AEM form components or make your own.

Level 2

With AEM Licence, can we use both AEM forms or both AEM forms and Adaptive forms for Production servers.

Level 1

Hi,

Can you please add more points to this statement "Adaptive forms dynamically adapt to user responses by adding or removing fields or sections based on user response."  Does this means author can add or remove the form fields? If so, i understand author can add/remove form fields in AEM form component as well. Please clarify

Employee Advisor

The answer to the first part of the question is 'yes', on runtime based on the user action or responses you can play with the form fields. You can not only show, hide or Enable the fields but add more instances of the fields or even the panels. Lot of things that you can do further. Please refer below documents for exploring rule editor and instance manager capabilities.

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-2/forms/using/creating-forms-repeatable-sections.html

AEM 6.1 Forms Help | Adaptive forms rule editor

-Mayank

Level 2

Hi Gopal, Did you get answer to this? Can we use Adaptive Forms components without additional licence?

Employee

The AEM Forms functionality included in AEM QuickStart is just for learning features and capabilities of AEM Forms. You require an additional license to use AEM Forms in production environment. The license provides access to AEM Forms add-on package, forms designer, and forms workbench and unlocks various features of AEM Forms.

Level 2

Thanks, Khushwant. Your answer contradicts Scott's.

It'll be helpful if you can clarify.

There are two component groups Forms and Adaptive Forms. This is without the AEM Forms Add-on package.

Now I understand that the components under Forms components group can be used without additional licence.

What I am not clear is: Do we need additional licence for using Adaptive Forms components available in Quickstart even if we don't want the features in Add-on package?

Employee

AEM Sites and AEM Forms are sold via separate licenses. AEM Sites (i.e. Quickstart only) contains "Forms" components as part of AEM Sites functionality to design simplistic data capture functionality. Refer: Foundation Components . Customers with AEM Sites license can use "Forms" components for such use-cases.

Adaptive Forms feature is part of AEM Forms. A preview level feature is embedded inside Quickstart for easy discoverability but it does not unlock the full potential of mobile responsive Adaptive Forms with backend data integration, forms specific workflows, multi-channel documents creation, integration with other solutions like Adobe Analytics and Adobe Target in addition to document services capabilities. To realize the full potential of AEM Forms features including Adaptive Forms, customers need separate AEM Forms license.

To summarize, "Forms" components can be used with AEM Sites license and "Adaptive Forms" can be used with AEM Forms license.

Hope this helps.