• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 (standalone) not reading latest Sony RAW files

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Appreciate anyone's help in advance for this...

I had the Lightroom CC demo running on my iMac, and I was able to open and edit Sony A9 RAW files without a problem. When the trial expired, I decided to buy the latest Lightroom standalone (I don't need Photoshop, so I didn't need the 'photographer CC' package).

However, it seems that Lightroom 6 is quite old technology (from 2015, I think) and it can't open the latest Sony RAW files.

How can I update Lightroom 6 Standalone to be able to read Sony ARW files.

Thanks again!

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

The 'updates...' option in the Help menu is greyed out,

See if Lightroom 6 Help > Update greyed out  helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first install Lightroom 6, version 6.0 is installed. Then you need to install the updates that have been released since the initial release. Your camera needs at least version 6.10.1. The current release is 6.12. Check for updates in the Lightroom menu. If it tells you that you are up to date then you can go to the following website and get the update. You only need to install the latest update which is 6.12.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

And before you come back all confused, there is only ONE update which takes care of both Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC 2015. There is not a separate update for the standalone version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim. Thanks for your very prompt reply. The 'updates...' option in the Help menu is greyed out, so I will try that link you sent me, and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'updates...' option in the Help menu is greyed out,

See if Lightroom 6 Help > Update greyed out  helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to install the update that I downloaded from the link you sent me gives me this error: 'Adobe updates suppressed by administrator'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll delete that prefs file mentioned in the second link, and try again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim. It was that prefs file all along! It's working now. Thanks for your help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim. Just one last question. Where is the 'dehaze' option in this version? It is the latest version of Lightroom, isn't it (6.12)? I use this feature quite a lot, but can't seem to locate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

javoza  wrote

Hi Jim. Just one last question. Where is the 'dehaze' option in this version? It is the latest version of Lightroom, isn't it (6.12)? I use this feature quite a lot, but can't seem to locate it.

We had better clarify something. The dehaze feature is only in Lightroom CC. That means you need to be subscribed to the Creative Cloud. Do you have a Creative Cloud subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you got things resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. And what do you know about the 'dehaze' option not being available in the Lightroom 6 Standalone? I've just spent £123.99 (about $160) on this product (which is non-refundable because now the box is open). I would not have bought it if all the features that I'd been using in CC were not available in the Standalone product. What options would you suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a number of features added to the Creative Cloud version that are not part of Lightroom 6. It's unfortunate that this isn't made clear in the trial version. Fortunately for you, there is a plug-in available that will enable you to add a dehaze feature to Lightroom 6. You might consider adding that plug-in. Here is a link to one of the plug-ins for the dehaze feature:

Lightroom 6 Dehaze – Cut through the fog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim. Thanks for that link. Unfortunately, I mainly use dehaze in targeted areas only (not the whole image, as it gives a colour cast) which I now realise is only available in Lightroom CC. I'll put it down to a waste of money then, because now I will have to pay the monthly CC subscription if I want to use this feature — one which I rely on quite heavily in my landscape images.

Is there anyone you would recommend I speak to regarding a discount for the first year of CC subscription, in light of the lack of information regarding missing features? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there anyone you would recommend I speak to regarding a discount for the first year of CC subscription, in light of the lack of information regarding missing features?

Sorry to be the wet blanket voice of reality, but Adobe made it clear in a number of places that LR CC would have additional features added over time, but LR 6 would not (LR6 gets bug fixes and new camera/lens support, but not additional features).

I'm pretty sure Adobe does not give discounts on the CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines