• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezes when opening Raw file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PS CC 2017 with the current updates installed. My OS is Windows 7, again up to date.

If I attempt to open any raw file (Olympus or Panasonic) from PS, the image opens in the Camera Raw window. Following any adjustments, or none at all, selecting "Open Image" causes the Camera Raw window to close, but the image will not open in PS and PS itself freezes, not responding to the selection of any button, including the "close" button. Opening Task Manager shows PS "not responding" and I have to force a closure.

I have tried uninstalling PS, shutting down the PC, then re-booting and installing PS, and doing update. Does not help!

Where do I go now, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Hi there,

I had the exact same problem since downloading PS CC 2017 two days ago (pressing 'Open Image' in Camera Raw resulted in PS freezing every time). I have managed to find a fix for my system, so I hope this works for you (I am by no means a technical expert). Here's what I did:

Open photoshop. Click 'Edit' tab. Go to 'Preferences' and open 'Camera RAW'. Under 'Performance' I unticked 'Use Graphics Processor'.

Since then any files I open in Camera RAW now open in PS without it freezing. My

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. You need to reinstall the MS Visual C runtimes, since they may have gotten messed up during some update. There is a explanation for it somewhere, I just don't have the link handy.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had the exact same problem since downloading PS CC 2017 two days ago (pressing 'Open Image' in Camera Raw resulted in PS freezing every time). I have managed to find a fix for my system, so I hope this works for you (I am by no means a technical expert). Here's what I did:

Open photoshop. Click 'Edit' tab. Go to 'Preferences' and open 'Camera RAW'. Under 'Performance' I unticked 'Use Graphics Processor'.

Since then any files I open in Camera RAW now open in PS without it freezing. My OS is also Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great it worked for me as well, thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Works perfectly, and very comforting to know that someone else had the same problem!

Interestingly, when I first tried your solution, I found that the "graphics processor" box was already unticked and there was a message "disabled due to an error". So, I ticked the box and closed the dialogue and then PS, re-opened both and then unticked the box and eureka - it worked. Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem! I stumbled across your question as soon as I noticed the problem occurring with my system, and was hoping some guru would provide an answer. With none forthcoming, several hours of erratic and inefficient internet sleuthing led me to this page: Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

It seems that graphics-card issues are relatively common, so I've saved that page for future reference.

Glad this helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank! It worked for me too, I was already stressing out with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same trouble myself just reinstalled Photoshop and now it freezes each time I try to open a RAW Image. Going to try what you did and see if it works. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem and the solution given worked for me as well! Thank you! Using PS CC on Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you this helped resolve my exact same issue:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful Thank you. Wondering if we need to update our graphics card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the same for me with PS CC 2019 version wow what a simple fix to a problem thats been driving me mad for 2 days thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately I had tried the solution of shutting off the graphic processor, as referenced in other replies, and Photoshop still freezes everytime I try and open a raw file.  Amy other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines