Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing script with different sizing for every image

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I currently have a large number of png files that are for web use. For our website each image needs to be at a 1:1 ratio and cropped. For the cropping part of the script I just batched all of the images using the trim function. This leaves me with a ton of images with different widths and heights. Is it possible to run a resizing script that will match the larger dimension of each image whether it be the height or width so everything will be at a 1:1 ratio?

Thanks for the help

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

It should work with pngs. So according to your last post, it looks like you're trimming rather than "cropping." So you don't actually want to crop into the image. Then you want the image to be a 1:1 aspect ratio, so that would mean increasing the canvas size, rather than resizing the image to the longest dimension. Is that right? If so, try this script. All is does is resize the canvas.

#target photoshop

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

var doc = activeDocument;

var lSide = parseInt(Math.m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that can be done, but if you want the 1:1 ratio, you really need to manually crop, or you really don't know where the image will be cropped, unless you don't mind distorted images. Image Processor will resize image to a max size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually resizing the canvas to 1:1 after trimming so its the canvas that I need at a 1:1 processor so the image won't get distorted as you said. Can image processor resize the canvas to a max size as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image processor will resize the longest side image to whatever you put in the field to resize it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that but the 1000s of images I have some have a bigger height and some have a bigger width. I am trying to find a way to have it take whatever is the bigger of the two whether it be the height or the width and match it, and move to the next image without having the manually do each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No your Action need to make the 1:1  the will be very easy to do if a centered 1:1 crop or a 1:1 crop from the top left corner will be acceptable.  You can use my Plug-in script in your action. Aspect Ratio Selection.  It can make selections or Paths that are rectangle or ovals that have the aspect ratio you need.  It in my crafting actions package with along with other script I wrote for use in Action the Adobe introduce a bug in CC 2015.5 that requires you to add garbage to documents metadata  to get around the bug otherwise my run twice scripts will be bitten by Adobe designer Bug.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.

Contains

Example

Download

When recording the Action the scripts Dialog will look like this.  The Dialog will not display when the action is played the script records the settings you used recording the action into the Actions step when the action is played these setting are used the script bypasses displaying its dialog so the action can be batched.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regular crop tool can have specified widht and height... so it will crop and resize your image in one step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking for any suggestions on this. Another quick example of what I am trying to do is I have an image that is 4000Wx3000H and a second one that is 3200Wx3900H. What I am hoping a script can do is trim the pngs, and then resize to 4000WX4000H and 3900WX3900H. After the trim the dimensions will change, but basically I want to match what is bigger, whether is be the height or width.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

two step action

Step 1 Aspect Ratio selection  1 1 center rectangle replace selection

Step 2 Image Crop

Action can be batched....

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJ, how do you get to the aspect ratio selection screen? Thanks for the help, kind of a noob at this stuff and trying to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a plug-in script I wrote included in my Crafting Package I had posted information about that package in this thread.

It is a Plug-in Script you can make complex selections and paths with it in actions.

Capture.jpg

AspectRatioSelection.jsx Makes Aspect Ratio Selections or Paths supports both rectangle and oval selections and the normal selection options (Replace, Add, Subtract, Intersect) Feather, anti-alias and border.  Useful utility for cropping and framing actions.

The aspect ratio is also made relative to the document current orientation  Portrait or Landscape  1:1  is neither.    So  if  you set 2  and 3 for the ratio values the Selection or Path will be 2:3 for portraits and 3:2 for landscapes

I wrote it to be use in Actions.  As a user all you need to do is use it in an action.   I did the programming required.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

#target photoshop

var lSide = parseInt(Math.max(doc.width,doc.height));

var sSide = parseInt(Math.min(doc.width,doc.height));

var dW = parseInt (doc.width);

var dH = parseInt (doc.height);

cropImage ();

doc.resizeImage(lSide,lSide,undefined,ResampleMethod.BICUBIC);

function cropImage(){

var x1 = (dW-sSide)/2;

var y1 = (dH-sSide)/2;

var x2 = x1+sSide

var y2 = y1+sSide

var idCrop = charIDToTypeID( "Crop" );

var desc6 = new ActionDescriptor();

var idT = charIDToTypeID( "T   " );

var desc7 = new ActionDescriptor();

var idTop = charIDToTypeID( "Top " );

var idPxl = charIDToTypeID( "#Pxl" );

desc7.putUnitDouble( idTop, idPxl, y1 );

var idLeft = charIDToTypeID( "Left" );

desc7.putUnitDouble( idLeft, idPxl, x1 );

var idBtom = charIDToTypeID( "Btom" );

desc7.putUnitDouble( idBtom, idPxl, y2 );

var idRght = charIDToTypeID( "Rght" );

desc7.putUnitDouble( idRght, idPxl, x2 );

var idRctn = charIDToTypeID( "Rctn" );

desc6.putObject( idT, idRctn, desc7 );

var idAngl = charIDToTypeID( "Angl" );

var idAng = charIDToTypeID( "#Ang" );

desc6.putUnitDouble( idAngl, idAng, 0.000000 );

var idDlt = charIDToTypeID( "Dlt " );

desc6.putBoolean( idDlt, false );

var idcropAspectRatioModeKey = stringIDToTypeID( "cropAspectRatioModeKey" );

var idcropAspectRatioModeClass = stringIDToTypeID( "cropAspectRatioModeClass" );

var idpureAspectRatio = stringIDToTypeID( "pureAspectRatio" );

desc6.putEnumerated( idcropAspectRatioModeKey, idcropAspectRatioModeClass, idpureAspectRatio );

var idCnsP = charIDToTypeID( "CnsP" );

desc6.putBoolean( idCnsP, true );

executeAction( idCrop, desc6, DialogModes.NO );

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Chuck, this script seemed to freeze my phtoshop about 1/6 of the loading bar in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of PS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe photoshop CC 2017.0.1 release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His script work on My cc 2017 but it will interpolate images up in size You will loose some image quality.  Its not simply a crop. It first upsizes the image

There can be a big difference.  Het anu image starte ate 4.3 MB His Crop is 7.5MB mine is 1.5MB

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, it upsizes the image, as that's what he stated he wanted: crop 1:1 to smaller dimension, then size to the full size of the longer side. Not the best thing to do - I agree.

Script should work on 2017, what's what I'm running it on too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the constant help guys. I will try again. Does it matter that all the images that I am using are pngs possible causing that script to freeze up? I will try and explain again simply what I am trying to do (if that helps at all).

1. I have a bunch of pngs with a transparent background in a folder.

2. My first action is to Select Image > Trim and take the top left pixel colour. This is what we have been doing to crop the images.

3. My next action which is causing this discussion is to match the highest dimension whether it be the height or width.

4. Save the resulting image in a new folder and move on to the next.

Sorry again if I am not giving the best of details. I am fairly new with photoshop and am working on a massive overhaul of images in a catalogue.

Everything is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work with pngs. So according to your last post, it looks like you're trimming rather than "cropping." So you don't actually want to crop into the image. Then you want the image to be a 1:1 aspect ratio, so that would mean increasing the canvas size, rather than resizing the image to the longest dimension. Is that right? If so, try this script. All is does is resize the canvas.

#target photoshop

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

var lSide = parseInt(Math.max(doc.width,doc.height));

canSize ();

function canSize (){

var idCnvS = charIDToTypeID( "CnvS" );

var desc11 = new ActionDescriptor();

var idWdth = charIDToTypeID( "Wdth" );

desc11.putUnitDouble( idWdth, idPxl, lSide );

var idHght = charIDToTypeID( "Hght" );

desc11.putUnitDouble( idHght, idPxl, lSide );

var idHrzn = charIDToTypeID( "Hrzn" );

var idHrzL = charIDToTypeID( "HrzL" );

var idCntr = charIDToTypeID( "Cntr" );

desc11.putEnumerated( idHrzn, idHrzL, idCntr );

var idVrtc = charIDToTypeID( "Vrtc" );

var idVrtL = charIDToTypeID( "VrtL" );

var idCntr = charIDToTypeID( "Cntr" );

desc11.putEnumerated( idVrtc, idVrtL, idCntr );

executeAction( idCnvS, desc11, DialogModes.NO );

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked Chuck.

Thanks for all of the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the png have a transparency in the background you will do better with trim transparency on all four sides,  The top left pixel may has a color which may or may not trim anything. Trim transparency will trim to the image bounds.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will adjust that as well.

Thanks as well for the help JJ.

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines