• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iOS 11/iPad Pro - Lightroom Mobile needs to get a LOT better

Participant ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I now own an iPad that is every bit as fast as my late 2016 13" MacBook Pro - in some ways, MUCH faster. Somebody is going to create a great, professional photo management and processing app for iOS 11, and Adobe already has a subscription business model in place. However, the mobile apps are only being used as carrots to encourage subscriptions to Desktop apps - they need to become first class applications on their own merits now.

Lightroom for Mobile has made great strides in recent months, but it's still a LONG way from where it needs to be. It needs to be able to import from the Camera Roll, rename on import, apply keywords and other metadata, do perspective correction, and on and on. Most importantly, the processing workflow needs to become much more fluid - no more "tap on adjustment, click on and move slider, scroll adjustment list, find next adjustment, tap on adjustment, click on and move slider" - far too cumbersome. Take a look at Polarr for a much more fluid take on adjustments - nice large tap targets, drag diagonally within the tap target to increase/decrease effect. I was thinking of something similar before I saw how Polarr works, and I'm pretty happy with their take on it. Also, Lightroom should do whatever it can to keep from decreasing the size of photos during editing - photo aspect ratios will dictate some of this, but basically, the interface should do whatever it can to fit into blank space around image borders so that photos are always shown as large as possible.

Also, it goes without saying that Lightroom Mobile needs to be able to sync from an iOS device to a Mac/PC over USB/WiFi without forcing users to bounce everything through Adobe's servers. Again, that's a "carrot" being used to drive subs to the Desktop apps. For shoots of any size, syncing through Creative Cloud is just impractical and a waste of valuable time.

Please chime in with any other suggestions/comments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

And now Lightroom Mobile 2.8 comes out and makes basic features WORSE!

They've taken away Speed Flagging again (LRQ says it will be back, but currently conflicts with "other things"), and the move toward a more "desktop" editing interface (making the photo you're editing even smaller) is a HUGE step backwards.

I can't believe they're still flailing around like this. Speed Flagging is a huge part of the iPad being much better for shoot culling than desktop, and I am (or was) using it on a huge proj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I see it, with the iPad Pros being more than capable to handle a full version of LR I want to hear that Adobe will be releasing an update making the app much more fully realized and featured.

As it is, I have been looking to move my workflow from my laptop to the new iPad Pro, and if Adobe continues their course I will be leaving their eco system and their subscription. And I know many people who are looking into making the switch away from Adobe. Too many viable options these days. If Adobe doesn't want to listen or respond to their customers (I've been using Adobe since the original Photoshop) than I no longer want to give them my business.

The fact this has gone unanswered by anyone from Adobe for nearly a month gives me an idea how they don't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now Lightroom Mobile 2.8 comes out and makes basic features WORSE!

They've taken away Speed Flagging again (LRQ says it will be back, but currently conflicts with "other things"), and the move toward a more "desktop" editing interface (making the photo you're editing even smaller) is a HUGE step backwards.

I can't believe they're still flailing around like this. Speed Flagging is a huge part of the iPad being much better for shoot culling than desktop, and I am (or was) using it on a huge project.

Thanks, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you all to share your thoughs and experience on Lightroom mobile.

I use LR6 on my iMac and was considering bying the nez iPad Pro when I am away...

But from what I understand the features are still limited and if I come back with 2000 RAW files to sync from iPad to iMAc it will take forever...

As you say, it just look like a carrot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought the new iPad Pro (12.9) and a Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro foolish thinking that when I was traveling rather than schlepping my MacBook Pro plus an external drive, plus a heavy charger I could use a lighter configuration. Reading SD cards into the WD drive works very well except for the fact that one has to burrow in about 4 levels of sub-directories to get to the pictures. I have not tested incremental backup yet but have no reason to believe that part won't work.

But then getting the RAW files into Lightroom is so far alluding me. The WD software (MyCloud) does not directly handle RAW files. I have discovered that there is an app called File Explorer - the paid version cost just $4.99 - allows you to actually visualize thumbnails of your RAW pictures and I think that it is possible to open them in Lightroom but what I have not resolved yet is how to save back an edited Lightroom image to the WD drive for subsequent importing into my main Lightroom catalog on my MacBook Pro with all my edits intact.

All this should be possible, and Adobe is really missing the mark if they don't create a process for making work flow easy and intuitive with Lightroom Mobile. Reliance on the Cloud is plain STUPID!! When one is traveling one frequently encounters places with either no internet connection or at best marginal service that is hardly suitable for uploading 100's of pictures at a time.

ADOBE ANY COMMENTS ??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaaaggghhhhh, I've just purchased a similar set up thinking it would solve my travelling photography problems. I mistakenly assumed that since the iPad Pro can read my .NEF files there wouldn't be a problem transferring them back onto the "My Passport Wireless Pro". Have I just wasted a shed of money???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I also tried it in mid-december and spent 10 days trying to sync LR mobile on iPad and iMac ... that was way too slow and not convenient ... I was so disappointed after a while I returned the iPad to the store . I am taking a Mac book pro instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also frustrated that adobe is not making lightroom mobile more for the professional. The ipad pro is perfect tool to use out in the field. It should be a replacement for a laptop for the professional photographe. There is no reason we can't have a full version of lightroom for the ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everything you guys are saying. I really wish adobe goes full speed on mobile. The iPad is the perfect tool for photography.

BUT, knowing the company and the other products, I really hope the leadership will give the team that is working on it Much more resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are absolutely right.

Sync iPad with iMac just connecting with USB could be for sure the best alternative. I sync right now around 100Gb and takes a full day to be done using Creative Cloud.

I sugest a better info for manage the content too. I want to have clear where the RAW is storage and how to clean up the iPad storage safety keeping only the smart previews. Now I am afraid to do it a nd lose the pictures or the sync functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines