• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2017.0.1 Laggy "Play" playback - GTX 1080, SSD Raid, Xeon E5-2630 2.20 GHz (2 processors)

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

System info:

Premiere Pro 2017.0.1

GTX 1080

SSD 0 Raid (hardware)

Xeon E5-2630 2.20 GHz (2 processors)

128 GB Ram

Problem:

Adobe Premiere is lagging, freezing when using "Play" button. Fine when scrolling timeline.

File type: MXF, 2k.

Also strangely, when this lagg occurs, task manager reports 100% CPU usage. Also after the start up "play" lag, it countinues fine, at 2% CPU usage.

I could not find anything on this matter, a few older threads around the web with no answers. Can anyone help me out please?

Thank you!

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings! Checked CPU, Temps. All fine. CPU seems to be working properly. I did uninstall, also with Adobe CC cleaner. Now installed new version 2017 1.02. It got better around 10%. There has to be some massive failure or bug somewhere. This kind of setup, wich such horrible results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, your processor's clock speed is too low to run Premiere Pro with adequate smoothness. Premiere relies HEAVILY on CPU clock speed.

Second, Premiere Pro scales poorly with more than 8 to 10 processor cores – total. And what little advantage your system has in terms of processing power is more than negated by the low clock speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christ, is it really that bad?! Im more then sure that Premiere will not use maximal core power, so what are my options? Get a new CPU? Not so easily changed. What is the optimal clock speed for Premiere? Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal:

Premiere really runs best with the CPU clock speed at 4.0 GHz or above. Unfortunately, most LGA 2011-x Xeons cannot run (or more specifically, cannot be set to run) at anywhere close to 4.0 GHz without raising the BCLK (Base Clock) out of spec. What's more, adding a second CPU entails increased latency. Thus, at every given clock speed setting a PC with two 10-core, 20-thread CPUs will perform slower than a PC with a single 20-core, 40-thread CPU (if such a thing even exists).

I have also checked the specs of that Xeon E5-2630 v4 CPU, and its maximum Turbo boost clock speed with all 10 cores in use is only 2.4 GHz. Compare that to the stock (non-Turbo) clock speed of 3.0 GHz for the i7-6950X (and with Turbo boost somewhere higher than that), and you'll find that the E5-2630 v4 is (relatively speaking) a weakling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

I've been struggling with this issue from a long time. So much that is close to be normal, since I never got a clear answer.

Suddenly I figured out a solution. The graphic card!!!

I have a Dell Precision 490 with dual XEON 3GHZ (4 total cores), 16GB Ram ECC, Nvidia Quadro FX 3800(1GB), Win7(64bit), SSD with System and Adobe Premiere Pro CC2017

To be honest, I changed almost all single parts on computer, in order to identify why the CPU goes to 100% and playback freezes, stops and crash sometimes, with 1080(H.264) videos.

In my point of view, the problem should be related with Mainboard, CPU's or even RAM because the lags/freezes happened once the CPU runs close to 100% and never looked up to the Graphic card, since it never goes beyond 40-60%.

I added 3 extra fans, bought new RAM, added an extra paired CPU, changed Mainboard with another PC, added Cache Disk ... always with same results.

One of these days, close to be desperate, I picked up an old Quadro FX 1500 with only 256MB  and INCREDIBLY!!! the Program looks like to be running on a 12 core CPU with 6GB Tesla GPU.

Guys, get a try on this and forget CPU performance, the problem, in my case was solved with a low cost Graphic Card.

I can't understand the solution, since the Quadro FX 3800 is more recent and more powerful than FX1500 and both are not listed as recommend hardware.

I hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have been lucky there. But more typically, lower-cost graphics cards actually slow down all performance even more. I experienced this with a GeForce GT 730 with 1GB of GDDR5 RAM which only slowed down the MPEG-2 DVD export times with MPE set to the software-only mode (compared to the higher-end GPUs), in addition to being slow itself on its own terms for GPU acceleration.

In your case, getting a GPU with an amount of RAM that's woefully insufficient for GPU acceleration helped your performance only because it left a higher amount of available (free) system RAM for Premiere to use.

And as I reiterate the OP's original post, that GTX 1080 is a poor match to that dual Xeon 2.4 GHz (Turbo-boosted clock speed with all cores in use) CPUs with 20 total cores and 40 total threads: That high-end GPU really needs a CPU that's clocked at 4.0 GHz or higher and has more than four physical cores in order to work properly for CUDA GPU acceleration. A better GPU match for that dual Xeon E5-2630 v4 setup would have been a GTX 1060 6GB card. After all, if a CPU is too weak to begin with, no amount of GPU power can suddenly turn a system that's normally mediocre for video editing to one that's a monster-killer.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randall.

I understand, but I'm using the same files almost 7 years ago, from my Canon 550D - MOV(H264)

Everything works fine till Premiere Pro CC.

It's understandable the need of a power PC when we are talking about 4K footage, raw or other higher quality codecs/containers, can't understand the need of big hardware updates everytime Adobe update the software to do the same work that was being done.

I read crazy things over internet, like Tesla GPU Cards, dozen CPU Cores, 128GB RAM all to work with compressed files (in fact) but 1080 footage, please ... come on ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Out of curiosity look in Task Manager/Performance and see how many processes are running before you fire up Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines