• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create a menu in Captivate 9 that operates across all the slides

Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently creating a tool to simulate a piece of software.  I can't record the software because I only have the software users guide to build this from.  I'd like to have a menu across the top that simulates the software's menu, without having to copy and paste it to each slide.  Is there a tutorial or some advice someone could share.  How I'd like this to work is that the menu appears across the top of the screen and no matter what the slides content is when an item in the menu bar is clicked the appropriate menu and sub menus open.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Susan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Did you perhaps forget to activate the option 'Place object on Top' in the Timing Properties panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done something like this in the past but there's not really any easy way to do it if your software triggers the menus to open on mouseover.  This is because Captivate doesn't have many objects that will trigger advanced actions on mouse over.  Menus that have secondary flyout menus just make it even harder.

It's a lot easier to make things work if the first level menus are opened by clicking them.  This gives you On Click events to work with.  Captivate interactivity is always event-driven. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan on the student having to click on the menu option on the menu bar then to click on any items in the menu for the new window to open.  I also plan for them to click on any sub menus.  No mouse overs. I am using smart shapes with text as the menus.  I've tried putting their timing for rest of project but you can't see the dropdown menus after the first slide.Susan Wright (Equilady) Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you perhaps forget to activate the option 'Place object on Top' in the Timing Properties panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a possibility that I did miss putting the objects on top.  When I finish this other project I'll go revisit that.  Thanks.

I'll look at the YouTube video too.

Thanks for the ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new issue with my projects menus.  I've placed them as invisible until they've been opened but a few are staying open anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are timed for the rest of the project, a safe way is to make sure they are hidden when entering each slides, using the On Enter event of the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can use this for some inspiration. https://youtu.be/pm3qOekdsZ4

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3qOekdsZ4 by Paul Wilson to create a Table of Contents menu to jump to any section of the project and I finally got everything to work with one exception that is actually quite problematic and am praying someone here may have an answer. The slides with embedded video always appear on top of the TOC drop down menu. I have the video object sent to the back and the drop down menu set to always on top and brought to the front but the embedded video is still on top and the menu appears behind it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this...

1. Exit Adobe Captivate
  2. Navigate to the folder where Captivate is installed and copy the AdobeCaptivate.ini to your desktop
  3. Open the file with your favourite text editor
  4. Change the value of UseWidget7 from 0 to 1
  5. Save the file and copy the ini file back to the original folder
  6. Open Captivate and republish your project and test it out to make sure videos will appear on lower layers. 
Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Paul! I followed said instructions and it resolved that issue while causing another. I lost interactivity within the web objects. I am now attempting to add a script to the index.html file as recommended in this thread Make WebObjects Interactive when using UseWidget7. Once my admins make the change, I will see how it goes. Thanks again for the resolution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources