• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overriding OS Hotkeys assigned to F Keys

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to  program my Fkeys for some  shortcuts the most part this works, this is great. But when I press ctrl+4 and ctrl+6 the shortcut menu options won't allow me to override what seem to be allocated OS commands. For starters, I'm not entirely sure what OS its referring to since those Fkey commands are reserved for functions within Photoshop, and not windows. Anyhow, anyone have ideas on how to solve this or work arounds? Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Correct you should get a message when you try to assign Ctrl+4 or Ctrl+6 as a shortcut that, that is not allowed for it a a shortcut use for Photoshop channels palette's channel..  It is a Photoshop Shortcut not an OS shortcut and Photoshop will not let you change those assignment.   You can assign F keys to Actions in the actions palette and override Photoshop default F key shortcut.

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct you should get a message when you try to assign Ctrl+4 or Ctrl+6 as a shortcut that, that is not allowed for it a a shortcut use for Photoshop channels palette's channel..  It is a Photoshop Shortcut not an OS shortcut and Photoshop will not let you change those assignment.   You can assign F keys to Actions in the actions palette and override Photoshop default F key shortcut.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hanks so much for your response jjmac. I understand what you are saying. I also understand that actions are the only work around for this kind of thing. But i thought in the off chance someone woulf have another option.

i really don't understand why photoshop behaves this way with F4 and F6 dedicated to OS mandated functions that are not likely to be used. I use channels all the time too. And it may seem like a small thing but being able to allocate a filter menu as a hot key to F4 or F6 can make a big impact on my workflow As activating a shortcut through the menu Allows the user to experience the menu and calibrate the tool function. Where as assigning an action assumes that the tool has been calibrated already and will run the function of that particular tool at that particular parameter. I was hoping for a more dynmic option.

Thanks again for yihr response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Mac??? If you are you need to also use the Fn key with the Fkeys to get the Photoshop Fkeys shortcuts it a Mac thing.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm using a PC. but that is a great find anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should also I be able to edit Photoshop Keyboard shortcuts and change the Fkeys  assignments I do that for Fkeys like F1 F2 and F3 etc to run scripts.  But Be ware if you download action sets or load some of Adobe Action sets an  action set may override your Photoshop Fkeys shortcuts.  I even override some I set with Action. I use windows.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines