• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy anchor points in client supplied file

Participant ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi first up I just wanted to say how invaluable this forum has been to me over the years.  The moderators and forum users have always been so helpful and also very prompt in answering my questions, so THANKS

A client recently supplied a file to me that I would like to clean up if the job is not too time consuming.  Please see supplied screenshot.  I would like to delete the anchor points to the left of the image as when the file is exported it leaves white space on the left hand side.  I know I can just crop it in photoshop but in a recent job, it would have been so much easier to use the ai file instead of the png.

Legacy-anchor-points.jpg

I am assuming if I could close off the line at the point where the small arrow is, I could just delete the rest of the anchor points but I am unsure how to do close it off.  Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

I don't know where you put the extra anchor points, but I think you need a point on the selected path at this position:

Direct-selection-tool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this shape made with one path? This is what I would do.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 10.11.25 PM.png

I would use the pathfinder command:

I would make a rectangle over the area I want to delete:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 10.12.10 PM.png

Then select all of the shapes:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 10.13.41 PM.png

Go to Window>Pathfinder>Minus Front:

You should end up with this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 10.14.05 PM.png

If there are any stray anchor points, they shouldn't be connected to the other shape and you should be able to delete them with the direct select or regular selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help but that didnt work.  I think its a bit of a mess, see screenshot of overall logoScreen Shot 2017-09-13 at 5.12.24 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grab the Eraser tool and make it really big. Erase the points you don't need by dragging it over them. The path should automatically close after you have done this.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried this and it does get rid of some of it but as some of the anchor point are really close to the edge, if I get too close it removes the existing edge.  Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you zoom in really close and make the Eraser smaller to get rid of the additional annoying points perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First create some additional new points on the edge you want to keep. Then use the lasso tool or the direct selection tool to select all the points that need to be deleted. Delete them and then close the path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,

I tried what you suggested but lost some of the white artwork.  I probably did it wrong.  Can I elaborate to make sure?  Please see screenshot.

Additional-anchor-points.jpg

Direct Selection tool

After deleting, I lose the white part.

After-deleting.jpg

THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try the eraser tool. It is all depends how someone drew it. If the path is connected with a certain way it will change the look of the path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I guess this is good enough

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting it, then select the Shape Builder Tool (Shift + M) and hold down the Alt key to subtract the extra part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where you put the extra anchor points, but I think you need a point on the selected path at this position:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all good now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines