• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having the number of line on a Indesign document.

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning everyone !

I'm currently helping a newspaper. They want the number of line of a Indesign document automatically. Maybe passing through a web server or something like that ...

First I'd like to know if there is any API's that is treating this subject ? I've been searcing a lot in the internet and I've found nothing but script.

Second, I'd like to know if this thing is even possible ? Receiving the number of line from a Indesign document. From what I know, Indesign doc is more like a photoshop doc where you can't write on it. Am I right ? Or totally wrong ?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Best regards,

Raymond LIM.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

If you just want the number of lines, it is possible.

InDesign is a desktop publishing application, so you can definitely write on it.

You need to open the ExtendScript Toolkit, choose InDesign from the dropdown list and copy and paste the following lines:

var lines = document.stories.everyItem().lines.everyItem().getElements().length;

alert(lines);

Then, click play, and an alert will display the number of lines in the open document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just want the number of lines, it is possible.

InDesign is a desktop publishing application, so you can definitely write on it.

You need to open the ExtendScript Toolkit, choose InDesign from the dropdown list and copy and paste the following lines:

var lines = document.stories.everyItem().lines.everyItem().getElements().length;

alert(lines);

Then, click play, and an alert will display the number of lines in the open document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jake !

That's interesting to hear and good to know thank you ! Now the problem is that a newspaper that I am helping convert to In Design charges for legal ads by the column line. I've heard from my tutor that there is a plugin that is already taking in charge. I've made some research and I'm dry. Do you guys know anything about it ?

Have a nice day !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really understand what you mean. What should the plugin do?

This seems like a separate questions, so I suggest you mark my answer as correct and ask this in a new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True that ! Thank you very much jake !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines