• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I think I've killed my project

Participant ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new folder within the Topic Files folder in Project Manager and as soon as I entered the name and clicked out, it acted as though I'd asked it do something huge and went into a flickering hourglass thing. I left it for a while then tried to close RH and found it was Program not Responding. Now when I open it, the cursor is an hourglass and I can't do anything in it.

Any ideas about what I should do? I would leave it work through whatever it is doing but the Program not Responding message in the title suggests that it isn't actually doing anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008
Perhaps try closing your project and squashing the .CPD file. Then open the project using the .XPJ (The .CPD should be rebuilt for you automagickally)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Authorgirl

Where is your project? I'm suspecting you will return to say it's on a network resource. I suspect this because it's a common occurrence where one attempts to create a folder and things go wonky with RoboHelp if you are working that way.

Assuming my hunch is correct, you need to copy the project to your local C drive and proceed from there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

No, the project is on my C drive.

I have just found a post by Jon A on 9/30/08 saying he had this exact same problem and he fixed it by editing the root.fpj file and removing the reference to the new folder.
So I bravely ventured into my root.fpj file (having copied it first) and did the same but it hasn't made any difference. The project still opens slowly then the cursor flickers between pointer and hourglass.

There is a folder in that file called !Language!
Is this supposed to be in there - it isn't anything I have created?

BTW, I am using RH7.02

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try closing your project and squashing the .CPD file. Then open the project using the .XPJ (The .CPD should be rebuilt for you automagickally)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, you are a star!

That worked.

Thank you sooo much.

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the original problem though - does anyone know why RH 7.02.001 crashes when I create a new folder in the Project Manager? I assume it is a bug.

Is there another way of doing it? I do need a new folder.

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Helen

Where is the project? If it's on a network drive, that could easily explain it. Other than that, maybe odd characters being used in the folder name?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh... up way too late and not enough caffeine. I see you answered that earlier.

Sorry... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the project is on my C drive.

The folder name is normal - the problem happens even if I create the folder and click outside it whilst retaining the default 'New Folder' name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem also occurs if I try to rename a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2008 Nov 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: I established that it was happening on all projects and so re-installed RH.
I can now add/rename folders although it does take a good couple of minutes to do it in my large project.

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am having the same problem. It is causing me major issues. It does this multiple times a day any time I try to add, delete or rename a folder. I am losing a lot of my work every time this happens and I'm starting to get really frustrated.

I took Rick's advise and deleted the CPD file and now my project seems to be running ok but very slowly. I guess slow is better then not working at all 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp