DHTML not working - dropdown text

Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there blmjohnson

Have you tried clicking Tools > Update DHTML Effects in Topics?

Might be worth a shot... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did that yesterday, but it didn't do anything. Now this morning I tried it again. First I checked out all files, ran the "update DHTML Effects in Topics" and this time it actually went through the process of updating and when I generated the project the links are working. Now when I update the project to our production environment, the DHTML is no longer working. Any suggestions?

Also, now, I am seeing $$PLACEHOLDERS$$ in some of my topics. Any clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks Rick for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate that this is an ancient thread, but I have just emerged from a very painful couple of days merging old help systems together, and I had a nightmare with dropdowns no longer working in my updated output.

I had a situation where in 75% of cases, the dropdowns were working fine, but in the remaining 25% - they just weren't working, and I could not for the life of me figure out why.

I've got round it now, and to be honest I don't really understand how this has fixed it, but it has.

So in case this is of use to someone else experiencing this issue, I thought it worth sharing.

BTW I found a reference to this issue in another forum that suggested RH sometimes gets the popup ids confused between the popup link and destination text - but mine were all all ok.

What eventually solved this for me was this:

1. In the original topic - press ctrl+A to select everything and then ctrl+C to copy it all to the clipboard..
  2. Create a new topic and in the New Topic press Ctrl+V to paste in all the copied content (it should look exactly the same, but NB there are some subtle differences in the new html that will hopefully get your dropdowns working again).
  3. In the New Topic, press Ctrl+A to copy everything to the clipboard.
  4. Back in the original topic, delete everything.
  5. Then still in the original topic, press Ctrl+V to paste in all the content you've just copied from the New Topic.

Hopefully voila! - your dropdowns will be working nicely again.

I'd love to be able to explain what's going on here, but to be honest I can't be bothered to work it out + I don't have time. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't 'Update DHTML effects in topics' work? (In the tools menu?)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Thanks for replying and apologies for taking so long to respond.

I did try that Update option. It made absolutely no difference - all I got was a warning saying that the dhtml effects would no longer be backwards compatible or something, and then a big process bar as it went away and did something.

But it did not fix this issue for me...

Cheers,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TA, you didn't note what version you are using, but RH10 has issues with DHTML. I reported a bug over two months ag0 (see: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4910475#4910475) that had been confirmed by others, but there has been no solution provided as yet. It would be helpful (maybe ) if you reported this issue, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Flaven,

Thanks for that, and apologies for not mentioning the version of RH I'm using - it's RH10.

I have another gripe actually that may wwell be connected to your other post. So I'll do some more digging and report back etc.

Cheers,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp