Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No skeleton for 3d object?

Participant ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've downloaded https://free3d.com/3d-model/skeleton-94668.html in skeleton.3DS, skeleton.max, skeleton.mtl, and skeleton.obj formats.

Yet, I've been unable to find the skeleton layer (no pun intended), which allows modifying the pose of the character.

As you can see in the screenshot, the skeleton layer is nowhere to be found. I have  [Xı Enable CC 3D Animations in Preferences checked on Preferences.

Is it so that the skeleton data is just missing in the file or am I missing something out?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

That skeleton isn't a rigged character. Which means it cannot be posed easily in any software, if at all without a lot of effort and time. A secondary issue is that it needs to be subdivided (with a sub-d modifier in Blender, for example), because it is quite low poly, and it will not hold up well for either high resolution work or zoomed views.

Most free models aren't properly rigged, and even if they were, such files are almost impossible to keep app-agnostic. And certainly not in Photoshop: Ph

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to state up front I do not do 3d editing or know how to use Photoshop 3d Feature.  Adobe Photoshop support sever 3d File Formats.

Adobe Photoshop Extended can import these 3D file formats: .3ds, .obj, .dae (Collada), .u3d and .kmz(Google Earth). Before purchasing, check the description of the 3D model to ensure it's offered in one of these 3D Photoshop compatible formats.

However I have never had much sucess with .3ds files.  Photoshop is not a 3d Application 3d feature is more an add on.  I have had much more sucess with .obj files .dae files they may also require other files for materials for textures.  So I used the link you posted and saw a skeleton model the had both  .3ds and .obj model files. So I downloaded the download and First open the .obj model. and then opened the .3ds model in CC 2017.  Here is what I saw.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack​ and thanks for reply!,

Hmmm. I wonder why it reads Group4.obj and Group4.3ds in your screenshot, while the file inside the package is skeleton.obj and skeleton.3ds.

Anyway, I guess you had no more luck on finding the skeleton (with the bone icon) layer, as I did.

###

An example of the layer seen in a screenshot found in google image search:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to move the skeleton about you will need to go into a 3D  application e.g. Blender and rig the model so that the various parts move correctly in relation to each other. (The download link you attached clearly states the model is not rigged)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it depends on what software put together the 3D model, and how many parts are fused into one object. Here's a screen shot of a skeleton from Poser, saved as an OBJ file. You mentioned layers, but your screen shot just showed the 3D panel. There you will see the various objects that compose the 3D model. My file has a list of the object that can be separated or adjusted in the 3D space, as seen in the 3D panel, where I just have one layer with the skeleton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That skeleton isn't a rigged character. Which means it cannot be posed easily in any software, if at all without a lot of effort and time. A secondary issue is that it needs to be subdivided (with a sub-d modifier in Blender, for example), because it is quite low poly, and it will not hold up well for either high resolution work or zoomed views.

Most free models aren't properly rigged, and even if they were, such files are almost impossible to keep app-agnostic. And certainly not in Photoshop: Photoshop is rather severely limited for this type of work - and most certainly in regards to 3d rendering quality and speed (which is decades behind what is available for free in Blender).

Anyway, I don't want to bash Photoshop 3D capabilities all too much. Its 3d is okayish enough for the odd 3d logo and 3d type thingy.

If you are interested in a rigged (free) skeleton model, download a properly rigged skeleton for Blender here:

https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/75167

Render the image in Blender with a transparent background, and place the result in Photoshop. Of course, this does mean you will have to learn a bit about a 3d application. Nothing's truly free 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of you great fellows you replied this in last 12 hours:

Yea, it's true that the download page said that The skeleton is not rigged.

Unfortunately I'll have to admit, I just had no clue, what that meant.

Thanks for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, it's true that the download page said that The skeleton is not rigged.

Unfortunately I'll have to admit, I just had no clue, what that meant.

The attached tutorial is for Blender - but, even if you don't use Blender, take a few minutes to skip through it and you will get a feel for what rigging does.

Blender Tutorial: Basics of Character Rigging - YouTube

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines