4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 10:05 AM by stefanocps

laptop for Premiere editing core u vs core hq

stefanocps Level 1

Hello i a want to buy a laptop which i will use also for video editing. I say also because mostly i edit on my desktop. Someitmes i am out and do some pre assembly or editing of short clip. So generally no strong job inb it.

Now my budget is around 1000 and i need to choose between mobility and performance

I would like mobility , but a 13" or 14" laptop at that price has a i7U core generally

At the same price i can get a hq core but with a 15'6 " laptop

Now..i need hq is better, but i ask to who experienced that..How much better?

what effectively change and in what part of the editing job i will see the difference?

Do i have to sacrify portability  to have a reasonable, or decent performer laptop?

thanks a lot

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

• 1. Re: laptop for Premiere editing core u vs core hq
          RjL190365 Level 5

For the most part, the HQ is far better than the U for video editing because the U processors generally have only two physical CPU cores while the HQ processors are true quad-core CPUs. And no dual-core CPU, regardless of how high it's clocked at, is as powerful (performance-wise) as even a mediocre quad-core CPU.

And on top of those differences, the "stock" (base, non-turbo) clock speed of the U processors is typically significantly lower than those of the HQ processors, instead relying on relatively high turbo boosts.

Starting this year with the forthcoming Kaby Lake Refresh mobile CPUs, the U processors will begin to feature true quad-core CPUs. However, their base clock speeds will continue to be significantly lower than their HQ siblings.

Randall

• 2. Re: laptop for Premiere editing core u vs core hq
            stefanocps Level 1

Ok this thing i know it more or less. Someone told me that the real difference is when rendering, that you don't notice much during common operation

is that correct?

• 3. Re: laptop for Premiere editing core u vs core hq
              RjL190365 Level 5

The real difference is in the rendering and exporting. The real-world exports will take at least 1.5 to 2 times longer with a U than with an HQ of otherwise similar specs. And depending on your particular laptop, the battery may peter out in the middle of an exporting job with a U processor. This is exactly why we recommend exporting video with the laptop connected to an AC mains outlet, not off of battery power.

• 4. Re: laptop for Premiere editing core u vs core hq
                stefanocps Level 1

ok that is really clear

any laptop suggestion?of course the less expensive and preferably the less big in size

thank you