Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Olympus em5 mark 2. RAW fuzzy unsharp

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My RAW files from my em5 mrk 2 are as default very unsharp. I do have a em5 mrk 1 and a em10 mrk 1 and these RAW files are just fine and sharp

Has anyone had this problem?

thanks ahead

best regards Lars

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Please shoot also in JPEG! Are the JPEGs sharp?

Please post also a RAW file in dropbox or similar so I could have a look at a problematic image.

What is your OS and LR version?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please shoot also in JPEG! Are the JPEGs sharp?

Please post also a RAW file in dropbox or similar so I could have a look at a problematic image.

What is your OS and LR version?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please see attached jpeg and ORF file

I have the latest cc version

Dropbox - P9120362.JPG

Dropbox - P9120362.ORF

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note, that the latest version may be correct, but it's better to post the version

number. Also, you didn't state you OS version number and typr (macOS or Windows).

I will look into the files as soon as I have access to my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lars Klausen Halds billede.

I have PC windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seams to be quite sharp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help. That means both JPEG and RAW file are sharp? What to do now, when I open the RAW file in my LR its not up to standard. I have the newest version, what could possible be wrong ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are sharp, but the JPEG file is "sharper" by applying a bit of more aggressive sharpening. Your LR is the same then mine, default sharpening of 25 has been applied.

(right JPEG, left RAW)

In the second image, I applied more sharpening:

Sharpening is normally a matter of personal taste, when the image is in-focus! You can apply default develop parameters during your import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I know that sharpening is matter of personal taste. But my problem is that the RAW file in LR is way beyond what you could expect. The image is not sharp when you enlarge it, somethings quite wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears the camera (or you) set the focus point on the road in the foreground at the bottom of the photo. This places everything else in the picture outside the depth-of-field for the the F5.0 aperture setting (see below links). If this is happening consistently then there is an issue with your camera's auto-focus or the lens.

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

Having said all that the picture can be adjusted in LR for good sharpness and definition that exceeds the in-camera JPEG using the below settings. For pictures that are in better overall focus a Sharpening Amount setting of 35 to 50 should be optimum. You can change your default Develop settings by hitting the master Reset button circled in Red below, next set the Detail panel settings as suggested, hold down the ALT key and click on the Reset button again, and finally click on 'Update to Current Settings.' All new pictures imported will have these new settings applied automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the difference of the two RAW files, the EM10 mrk 1 file is much much better. I honestly dont belive it has nothing to do with AF since the system focus on contrast. Meaning I cannot adjust the AF

Dropbox - P9120362em5.ORF

Dropbox - P9120293em10.ORF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

larsk53901677  wrote

I honestly dont belive it has nothing to do with AF since the system focus on contrast. Meaning I cannot adjust the AF

Please keep an "open-mind" since obviously something is wrong. That will make it a lot easier for you to find the cause of this issue. Thank you!

There are numerous ways you can change the camera's focus settings.....or simply there may be something wrong with the E-M5 Mark II camera body. YOU will need to do some trouble-shooting to determine the actual cause.

Below is the EXIF data for the two ORF raw image files (E-M5 Mark II and E-M10). It appears Focus Bracketing or Stacking may have been set in the camera menu (see Focus Step differences) on the E-M5 Mark II. Please check your camera manual concerning this feature and any other Focus settings such as Touch Autofocus.

Looking at the E-M5 Mark II and E-M10 ORF files side-by side they both appear to be focusing "forward" (15.23M and 16.05M) at a less than optimal "closer" distance. The E-M5 Mark II is slightly closer than the E-M10 and less sharp, but BOTH images are not focused on the central area of the frame. The White A3 Audi is near the central frame area and should be in sharpest focus. It is out-of-focus in both ORF files so you have an issue with both cameras using this 25mm F1.7 lens. Do you have other lenses? I suggest trying the same shot with both cameras using a different lens. Make sure the camera is set to use a single center focus point, focus on the Audi A3 license plate, and compare results. If you haven't done so already you may want to install the latest Version 3.0 firmware update for your E-M5 Mark II camera:

E-M5 Mark II &gt Software Downloads

One thing I forgot to mention is that ti appears you shot this picture from inside a building. Make sure you are shooting through an open window. Trying to shoot through glass will generally cause the camera to autofocus closer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also when you look closely at small items lying on the tarmac in the foreground of the E-M10 image, there is evidence of blur caused by vertical motion of the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I noticed that as well, but both image files exhibit close focusing error. What's interesting is that the E-M5 Mark II EXIF data shows Image Stabilization as ON with a 1/100 shutter speed (~1/500 sec. or faster effective shutter speed). The E-M10 shows Image Stabilization is OFF with an even slower 1/80 shutter speed (1/500 vs 1/80), but no motion blur. An effective 1/500th IS shutter speed shouldn't exhibit any motion blurring with the 25mm lens (50mm full-frame equivalent). That's why I suggested trying another lens–I suspect something is wrong with the lens with the camera. CORRECTION: Image Stabilization is implemented in the Olympus E-M5 Mark II camera body......NOT the lens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines