• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a script to detect lines that flow to the next line

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this in the InDesign forum, but was directed to try here, as no clear answer was given.

I'm attaching a screen shot of one entry in a membership directory I'm putting together. I need to quickly find via Find/Change, GREP, whatever, any lines that flow to the next line, as illustrated in the screen shot below in yellow. Each line except the last line of a member entry has a soft return at the end. The last line of each member entry has a hard return plus some space below to keep member entries separated. That's the way the style sheet is set up.

The data that breaks between lines is not hyphenated - it's a break between words, as hyphenation is turned off.

Note the data 1973 C 6CD49 SDV that is highlighted in yellow. I need to be able to quickly spot these kinds of breaks and track the text tighter so SDV goes back to the end of the previous line. Thank you in advance.

Screen+shot.jpg

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no clear answer was given

It was. Use GREP to apply no break to those pieces of data - they have consistent structure, so it can be done.

Each line except the last line of a member entry has a soft return at the end

As you already were told in InDesign forum, "the idea of using soft returns in every paragraph is very bad practice". You're going to have a hard time seeking anyone who tell you the opposite.

I need to quickly find via Find/Change, GREP, whatever, any lines that flow to the next line

There's no regex for 'end of a line', period. Your best friend here is no break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Here, we could suppose each "entity" including a no-break setting [logical!]!

its "semantic" structure is simple, … no need soft-returns!

… So, apparently 2 entities per line!

… To avoid a "even number" entity to "jump" to the next line, it's really simple and you could "correct" this just in 1-click on all the doc!

How?    Search for all entities couples; if their "lines" parent = 2, modify their "justification" until = 1!

… To do that, you'll need a [simple] script!

[Bad news: I don't write scripts for free! … but I can do it! If interested, contact me by PM.]

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines