• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difficulty kerning due to baseline in type tool - disable?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am wondering if it is possible to disable the baseline/underline that occurs when using the type tool. I have a hard time accurately seeing the space between characters with this baseline feature. For years I have just dealt with it but now have to use an all caps font for a regular client that needs heavy kerning.

I found another question that has a solution that half works for me. Using CMD+H temporarily disables the baseline but once I adjust kerning a single time it comes right back. While that is a better solution than committing the type then going back in with the type tool. Is it possible there is a better way/permanent solution for making the baseline disappear? I wouldn't miss it, not even a little bit.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

I checked on a Windows 10 laptop and see what you mean. Ctl+H hides the baseline but unlike on the Mac the baseline returns with any change to kerning. Try this - instead of using Ctl+H, go to the View menu and uncheck "Extras". Even though the shortcut should theoretically be doing the same thing, the result is different in that both the baseline and the blinking cursor hide. I was able to still click between other letters and though both baseline and cursor were remained hidden I could change

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The baseline doesn't reappear here on my Mac using Photoshop CC 2017, when just adjusting kerning. It only reappears if I click in the text. But if I use arrow keys to move through the text the baseline remains hidden.

Not sure that helps unless you are using an earlier version, in which case it may have been a bug that was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve. I am also using Photoshop CC 2017 but on Windows 7 Professional. I should have specified this information in my question, apologies. Using Ctrl+H.

Doing more "testing" on these client titles this morning... Wherever the cursor is when I hit Ctrl+H, I can adjust the kerning between those characters as much as I like, back and forth, without the baseline reappearing. I can then use the arrow keys to move the cursor and as soon as I adjust the spacing in a new location the baseline comes back. Same thing happens if I click to move the cursor, the baseline comes back as soon as I adjust spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean "heavy kerning" to should that be "heavy tracking"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Their title template has everything in all caps and the spacing between some (not all) of the letters needs adjustment. I would LOVE if all I had to do was crank the tracking up or down. Optical kerning does a better job than metric but still needs some manual adjustment.

Just trying to improve my efficiency at the task by hiding the baseline which makes it more difficult (for me anyway) to accurately gauge the spacing between characters without committing the text or temporarily hiding the baseline with Ctrl+H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked on a Windows 10 laptop and see what you mean. Ctl+H hides the baseline but unlike on the Mac the baseline returns with any change to kerning. Try this - instead of using Ctl+H, go to the View menu and uncheck "Extras". Even though the shortcut should theoretically be doing the same thing, the result is different in that both the baseline and the blinking cursor hide. I was able to still click between other letters and though both baseline and cursor were remained hidden I could change the kerning anywhere I clicked, without the baseline returning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES!! Thank you, Steve for discovering that Ctrl+H and physically unchecking "Extras" in the menu provide different results! Physically unchecking is faster for me than hitting Ctrl+H, adjust, Ctrl+H, adjust, and so on. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines