Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting2NewLayer.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Yes, that's correct. What you're selecting and copying has to be on one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure with the quick mask options that what you think you're selecting is actually want you want - either the painted area is the selected area or it's the masked area. You can get that options by right clicking on the quick mask channel in the channels panel. BTW, you just need to press ctrl-J to copy the layer's content within a selection to a new layer. Adding alt brings up the new layer dialog box, which slows the workflow down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick question--after you created the mask in Quick Mask Mode, did you click out of Quick Mask to make it a selection?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have Quick Mask set to mask selections.  I've done some experimenting.  Apparently, this is what is comes down to:  If an image consists of components stacked on several layers, and I make a selection on the top layer, I'm not really selecting the entire visible image.  I'm only selecting that part of the image that resides on that top layer.  The layers must be merged or stamped and the selection must be made on that merged layer to include the entire image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that's correct. What you're selecting and copying has to be on one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines