• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro: Guiding Lines for Placement of Still Images Within Program Monitor?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I primarily work in Premiere Pro using still images, and when I am sizing an image so it will cover the entire space within the Program Monitor, I have trouble distinguishing between the black that's within the Monitor's space, and the black of the borders outside the Monitor's space.

The other day, I think I inadvertently selected an incorrect key, and some blue lines appeared along the borders of the image as it appeared in the Program monitor that seemed to outline the borders of the image, whether those borders were within the Monitor screen area, or outside of it.  It made the image borders easy to identify, and ensured that I would completely fill the Monitor area without my having to scale the image up too much, and I didn't have to resort to the "scale to frame size" feature, which I can't use because the images I work with have to be precisely, i.e. manually scaled. 

Is this a familiar feature, and if so, I do I access it?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Blue lines indicate to outlines of the image. The appear when the image is selected (Motion highlighted) in the Effect controls.

I have trouble distinguishing between the black that's within the Monitor's space, and the black of the borders outside the Monitor's space.

If your image is smaller then the Program Monitor the you will see black space which in fact is a void which shows as black. Tn stead of showing black you can turn on Transparancy Grid (wrench) There is no black outside the monito

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show the "Safe areas" and adjust them as needed.

Title-Safe/Action-Safe Guides in Premiere Pro | CrewOfOne.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the suggestion; while the Safe/Action Safe Guides didn't turn out to be what I needed, I discovered another option on that menu, "Transparency Grid'" that serves the purpose.  I'm still unsure about what the blue lines were that I inadvertently made appear previously.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue lines indicate to outlines of the image. The appear when the image is selected (Motion highlighted) in the Effect controls.

I have trouble distinguishing between the black that's within the Monitor's space, and the black of the borders outside the Monitor's space.

If your image is smaller then the Program Monitor the you will see black space which in fact is a void which shows as black. Tn stead of showing black you can turn on Transparancy Grid (wrench) There is no black outside the monitor.

blue lines.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although theTitle/Action Safe feature is somewhat helpful, it's just not as precise as working with guidelines. In most Adobe apps (AE, PS, AI, ID) you can use CTRL/CMD+R to activate guidelines, which you can draw out to your liking. Unfortunately, this has not (yet) been implemented in PPro. Especially since the old Titler has now been replaced by a Text feature, accurate placement is all the more necessary. Aside from guidelines, the Program Monitor in PPro should also have basic Align to Top/Middle/Bottom type features, IMHO.

If you (like me and undoubtedly many others) find this a necessary feature, please use the Feature Request/Bug Report Form to shoot in a request. Sometimes adding the little things makes life as an editor so much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to all for your very helpful and considerate suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines