Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog hasn't backed up to Dropbox

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I've discovered that my Lightroom catalog hasn't been backing up to Dropbox since the end of July. I back up manually so that when I come out of LR I click the Back Up Now button.

I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with Lightroom or with Dropbox. I found out I had an issue because I had to do a factory reset and so now need to restore all of my files and restore my catalog. Luckily it's only 200 odd personal photos that I'd edited and keyworded that won't be in the catalog.

I want to make try and figure out where the issue is so that I don't have this problem in the future.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndreaJor72,

We do not recommend keeping the catalog or the backup of Lightroom on any cloud service alone as there could be issues with the Dropbox syncing over long period of time. A lot of users still follow this plan to backup(which I personally believe is not very risky) but as you've encountered this problem, it's not better than keeping the catalog on a physical drive. It could be another backup but not the only one.

I am quite sure that the sync with Dropbox must've paused due to multiple reasons. See Files are different or no longer updating—troubleshoot sync issues – Dropbox for more info

The solution marked to this thread Sync Lightroom Catalogue to Dropbox for use on 2 PC. could be helpful for you to decide a full-proof backup strategy for your future Lr backups.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Thanks for the information. Rather oddly I found more recent back ups of the catalog on my laptop so I'm wondering if it was a LR update that caused the error. No matter, I'll be looking at how I back up the catalog once my laptop is fully fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines