• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automatically connect lines to get a matching corner?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my problem - when you create a line, it gets positioned in a 0.5 pixel, which is understandable due to how it works. So when I want to get the perfect matching corners, I need to adjust the width of each line for those extra 0.5 - however, I've nocited that XD has actually connected the lines in one corner for me!

But I just have no idea how that happened - notice that it has only connected the lines in one corner, and I have all of them connected in one group shape, nothing is different in that regard, but I still can't get them to connect like it happened in that one case. Keep in mind, I don't have a problem to make the perfect edges by hand, but I am interested to know if I'm just not seeing how is it possible for XD to connect them on it's own.

I also have noticed that when I'm moving the other vertical line on the right, that when I'm moving it, it gets connected perfectly like the left one, but when I let go, it goes back to what you see below. Any ideas? Is XD supposed to do this on it's own and it's just not working for me, or have I experienced some bug that accidentally did what I wanted to once?

experience-design-line-corners.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

You're right; this is something that is a current limitation due to the fact that we shift to the half pixel for center-stroked elements. What you're asking for, however, can be solved by shifting either the length of one of your lines to the half-pixel or changing the x,y to a whole pixel.

Ultimately, the fix you want is to define end caps, which we don't yet support. Square or projecting caps will allow you to accomplish what you're trying to do. Definitely upvote here: Stroke end caps (butt, round, square/projecting caps) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying. Is there a specific reason as to why you are connecting lines? You could achieve the same thing by creating a rectangle or square and rounding off the corners if required.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, I am using lines because it allows me to the universally choose the thickness of the whole icon I was drawing - you don't see it in the example, because it's just a primitive rectangle, but when you start combining shapes and lines, you can't quickly change the outline with one click, sometimes it's simply more convenient. Quite often I have to decide to add or remove 0.1 px here or there just to achieve the right thickness that compliments the size of the icon and typography. And since I save it as svg, it doesn't really matter.

And the problem has nothing to do with rounding corners, I haven't mentioned anything about that. I am aware there is that quick rounded corners feature, but I find it absolutely useless, I'll rather use precise numbers.

Also, I made a discovery, as long as I cross the lines, they connect. So all I had to do was slightly prolong each of the lines and they would start connecting, I just don't know why it did that automatically for that one, but I'm glad I've found out a feature most of the people probably aren't aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lefiath. I am checking with the team for their observations.

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right; this is something that is a current limitation due to the fact that we shift to the half pixel for center-stroked elements. What you're asking for, however, can be solved by shifting either the length of one of your lines to the half-pixel or changing the x,y to a whole pixel.

Ultimately, the fix you want is to define end caps, which we don't yet support. Square or projecting caps will allow you to accomplish what you're trying to do. Definitely upvote here: Stroke end caps (butt, round, square/projecting caps) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Thanks,

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Elaine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines