Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe After Effects CC 2017.2 Shuts Down During Startup

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've updated my Adobe After Effects to the latest version which is in the trial period at the moment. I want to test it out before I purchase. When I click to start it up it comes up with this notification:

After effects error: preferences file "Adobe After Effects 14.2 Win en_US Shortcuts.txt" is not valid. The file will be renamed with ".old", and a new preferences file will be created ( 21 :: 31 )

When I click OK. The little notification goes away and then it comes up with:

Adobe After Effects has stopped working. Then just shuts down.

I've tried uninstalling and installing it again from the Creative Cloud dashboard and from my computer. Still getting the same issues. Can someone please help!

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody can tell you anything without exact system info or other technical details. Start by checking your harddrive for errors and make your security behave so files don't get damaged.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .old suffix makes me think you may have a previous installation of Windows left on your hard drive after an update.  Maybe that's messing up the installation of AE.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi karlw,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes I'm still having the same issue. I've tried uninstalling and installing it again.

I've done a full virus and system scan on my computer and had anything fixed.

I think I might uninstall, delete an files that are related to Adobe After Effects and go from there. Let you guys know how I went. It looks like no one knows I see.

MY SYSTEM SPECS:

i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.8GHZ

16GB

64-bit OS

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok!

So I deleted old files from 2013 and 2014. The program now works!

I hope this helps anyone else if this happens again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Please help! I am a complete noob as it comes to specs of my laptop. So please let me know which details you need and where I can find them. I really need to use After Effects quickly, so I am hoping to find the answer here...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have now mastered the problem, I deleted all the prefrence txt files. I can start the program up again, pfew...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines