• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Book Panel: Chapters show number of pages, not the page number within the book. Help?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been fighting the Book Page Numbering in trying to get a Table of Contents to work across 35+ chapters. 

Reading every reference I can find on the forums and general internet searches. Nothing is seems to match what I'm seeing.

I'm on CC2017 InDesign... Windows 10.

I have yet to see an example that doesn't show the pages number incrementing in the Book Panel out to the right of each chapter. In my case, I've never seen anything other than the number of pages in each chapter shown to the right of the Chapter (Document) within the Book.

The screen capture below shows the current number of pages in each document/chapter. In ALL examples I see, it would be Chapter 01 would be 1-4, Chapter 02 would be 5-8, Chapter 03 would be 9-11, etc.

BookPanelExample.jpg

I've checked and re-checked "Numbering & Section Options" and synchronization and everything I can find over and over... and can't get it to change.

We are running into some deadline issues, and it's starting to look a little bleak. After pushing to move everything to InDesign, it's even more dicey as each minute clicks by.

If someone could help me systematically double-check things, it would be helpful.

-JMW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Found it! After 4 days, something triggered from a semi-related post and it was....

PREFERENCES > GENERAL > Page Numbers....

I'm not sure how it got set to ABSOLUTE NUMBER, but when I set it to SECTION NUMBERING, it started working.

DONE!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you open the Book panel flyout menu and choose Book page numbering options.

Then enable the "Continue from previous document" option.

Update the page numbering.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for replying. I hope my answer/conclusion will help others in the future.

JMW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it! After 4 days, something triggered from a semi-related post and it was....

PREFERENCES > GENERAL > Page Numbers....

I'm not sure how it got set to ABSOLUTE NUMBER, but when I set it to SECTION NUMBERING, it started working.

DONE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines