Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reappearing folder

People's Champ ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

A project folder for a project I finished some time ago keeps reappearing on my working drive even though I have moved the project to my archive drive.

After days of being as clever as I can be I finally came across something on Tom's Hardware claiming that the application that created the file might be hanging on to the file path via it's "recently open files" function and recreating the the folder  every time the application starts.   This seems to be the case as when I tested this theory the folder does indeed reappear precisely while AE is loading up. 

My question how can i get AE to forget/purge it's "recently opened" file memory?

Of course if anybody has any other ideas or has experienced something similar, your feedback would be appreciated.

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you taken any steps yet to end this unexpected-but-typical-for-Adobe behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave,

I tried a bunch of stuff.  I tried doing a hard delete (shift+del).  I tried deleting all my $recycle.bin folders via command prompt.

I tried deleting the folder in safe mode.  I tried renaming & deleting.  Renaming the archived folder.  I searched the registry for the file path and deleted the registry entries.  I tried manually emptying my cache folders and temporary folders.

The folder still reappears when i start up AE.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A project folder for a project I finished some time ago keeps reappearing on my working drive even though I have moved the project to my archive drive.

in what path does this file appear in? what is its name? what does the folder contain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's in my work folder which is on a secondary drive  X:\afterEffectsProjects\Work.  The name of the folder is just the name of the project: all lowercase, "words-separated-by-hyphens".     The folder contains a "graphics" folder which is empty.  My project files usually contain the folders: audio, graphics, for upload plus a PDF of the script and a text file where i record the sources & usage rights of any assets I collect for the project.

So The project file I archived to an external drive is still there with all it's subfolder (full subfolders).  The one that keeps reappearing

at the path I gave above contains only an empty "graphics" folder.   At first I thought the reappearing folder was somehow connected to that archived folder so I tried changing its name and location (the archived folder) to see if it fixed the problem or if the reappearing folder would appear under it's new name.  It didn't. It appeared with it's original name & still containing the empty graphics folder.   Next I thought the problem might be the graphics folder or something in it so I moved that around and renamed it a few times but still no effect on the reappearing folder.  I also tried clearing all my Bridge caches since I do all my moving around of images through Bridge.

Next I checked my recyclye bin settings.  The deleting all my $recycle.bin folders through cmdPrompt.  Then hard deletes. Then booting in safe mode.  Then digging into the registry.  Then wiping everything I could in AE short of deleting my prefs file altogether.

I would first like to know where AE keeps it's log of "recently open projects" as someone on Toms Hardware implied through an older thread that that was likely the issue. 

It definitely seems like it has something to do with AE loading its memory or something as I can consistently watch the file reappear while AE is loading up.  It reappears at the exact same point in the loading every time. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's also wirth noting that I have completed several projects since the one in question, all in exactly the same manner and file structure.  All archived to the exact same place and none of those are reappearing.  Only this particular one.

Thanks.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set any render output module templates that might be pointing there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szalam,

Not intentionally.  Could I have accidently hit a hotkey combination that might have done that? Where would AE be saving that information?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish  wrote

Could I have accidently hit a hotkey combination that might have done that?

Doubt it. I don't think there is one.

Gutter-Fish  wrote

Where would AE be saving that information?

I would have assumed preferences, but I've never checked this one and I could see it being tucked elsewhere.

When you put a comp in your render queue, does it have any indication that it's going to the folder of annoyance?

Also, just to be sure, it's not set up as your cache folder for some odd reason, right? (Although, that definitely would be saved in your preferences...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I went through all my preferences files (that I know of at least) and searched for the path and deleted what instances of it i found. 

The only only instances I found were in the main preferences file.  There was nothing in the "render" or "output" prefs or any of the others.   Anyway AE still generates the folder. 

@Szalam When you put a comp in your render queue, does it have any indication that it's going to the folder of annoyance?

nope. It behaves normally.

@Szalam it's not set up as your cache folder

No

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also looked through any "start-up" & "scripts/start-up" folders looking for any clues but saw nothing that stood out.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's just weird (and annoying). The only thing I can think of is the output module doing something.

Wait, what third-party scripts are installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, what third-party scripts are installed?

Oh man, really? 

Well I have alot but nothing new lately.

I have Red Giant Trapcode & Effects suites

Sapphire Suite

MB Pastiche + Newton + Layer generator + connect Layers

Mt Mograph Motion 2 + Midas

Rift

Easy Arrows

Pain & STick

Sortie

RD Scripts (51 scripts)

Element 3D

Solifidty

Vector Icons

FX Console

I might be forgetting something but like I said nothing for awhile,  Midas most recently around mid-mMarch

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn. Nothing in there looks suspicious.

Have you tried creating and saving enough new projects so that the old one gets pushed off the list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szalam,

Well It's no longer appearing as a recently opened file.  I don't think I have created any output templates (I can't find any).

When I open a new project the save location defaults to the last location I saved in so i don't think AE is creating this folder as an "output template".   

Something got written that should not have or got written in a place it should not have & now After Effects creates this directory everytime it opens.   I'm tired of thinking about it,  a victim of Adobes diminishing bar of expectations.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it's just so WEIRD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess.   When it comes to AE weird is the new normal.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry GF,
If you haven't already done so, file a bug please.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin I haven't & I will.  I had just forgotten about it but the problem persists. I will file a bug report

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same issue for a couple weeks and this is the only thread I can find on it anywhere.  I've tried disabling all scripts and 3rd party plugins from AE local and Common to no avail.  I did find that renaming the drive works (of course) but thats not really a solution.  I guess next I'll try a preferences reset.  The only thing I can think of that was remotely different about this project is I used Essential Graphics to get some lower third setups to an editor.  Perhaps this new thing still has some bugs?  Its driving me crazy.

Were you able to resolve this in the last couple months or is the Phantom Folder mystery still haunting you as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had stopped trying to figure it out and stopped trying to delete it.   It's just been there ever since the problem began.  However, upon seeing your post I decided to try deleting it since I had not tried for 4 or 5 months....& by the gods, it deleted!!!  

I sent it to the recycle bin, emptied the recycle bin & then restarted AE & the folder did not reappear.  I have no Idea why it suddenly decided not to reappear.   There's a been a few WIndows updates so maybe that's what did it.  I have no advice except to file a bug report.

I can't believe it's finally gone!!!  Thanks

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines