• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black Screen when 4K footage is imported

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to start shooting a short film only on an iPhone 7 using Filmic Pro. I was testing some shots and when i imported them to AE and they were all black . I shot in 4K 30FPS. Other people have had this issue and i cant find a solution.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Screenshot (5).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Ok, you have h.264 in a .mov container. Apple does not really support h.264 movies in a QuickTime container any more and it never was a really good idea. Try changing the extension to .mp4 and see if AE will recognize it. Sometimes that works.

If it does not work then you'll have to transcode the footage to a better format. I would not recommend re-encoding the move as h.264 in any container because the quality of recompressed MPEG files goes down very quickly. Pick a suitable Mezzanine format f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What format and codec did you use to shoot your video? Can you play them by other preview applications like VLC media player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just selecting your footage in the Project Panel will reveal most of the important properties of the movie.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 3.37.57 AM.png

It's pretty hard to answer a question about footage problems without knowing exactly what kind of video you are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys thanks for the help. The problem with clicking the video file in my project tab is that nothing shows up. This is what it looks like when i select my file.

Screenshot (7).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps disregard the last image. this is the correct one.Screenshot (8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for loading you guys up on pictures but I interpreted the footage and it wont allow me to change any of the settings.Screenshot (10).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no codec, frame rate or other video information in the movie you have imported. The only thing the file shows is that it has audio at 48 Khz 32bit Uncompressed Stereo. That's not a standard audio format for video. That's why you cannot change the the video settings. This means that it is probably an unsupported format. It has nothing to do with the frame size. If you try and open it up in a media player can you see any info in the properties panel? Where did this video come from? Will Adobe Media Encoder recognize the footage? Have you tried to open it in Premiere Pro. If it will open there then try and find out what the Properties are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've opened my file in VLC Media Player and looked at the codec information and this is what is says. I thought H.264 was supported I'm not sure what all the other stuff behind it means.

Screenshot (12).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, you have h.264 in a .mov container. Apple does not really support h.264 movies in a QuickTime container any more and it never was a really good idea. Try changing the extension to .mp4 and see if AE will recognize it. Sometimes that works.

If it does not work then you'll have to transcode the footage to a better format. I would not recommend re-encoding the move as h.264 in any container because the quality of recompressed MPEG files goes down very quickly. Pick a suitable Mezzanine format for your DI.

Mezzanine format means visually lossless frame based and DI means digital intermediate. You can learn a little more about those terms with Google..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello! I understand that you have been talking about this for so long, but I have the same problem but when I opened my video through "VLC media player" I got slightly different values. Should I follow the same steps or maybe my material needs to be re-encoded into some other format? And could you explain exactly what settings I should choose in "Media Encoder" to get the result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a big reason why you should never use the Output Module or the Adobe Media Encoder to render an H.264 QuickTime.

I'm glad it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines