Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback and rendering very slow on new Ryzen 7 1700 build

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me with the issues I've been having.
Recently I build myself a new rig with these specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 1700 (no overclock present)
GPU: Asus Strix RX 470 4GB

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX @2666Mhz
Mobo: Asus Prime X370-Pro
SSD: Samsung 960 256GB <--- Where I edit my footage from

Latest Adobe Premiere Pro CC build is installed

I made a new project (about 1 minute length) with test footage in the .R3D format, and tried to export that footage with some color correction applied and some basic video transitions in between. The playback was pretty awful and would stop half way most of the time. I was using GPU acceleration (openCL) the entire time and the playback was choppy at best. The real problem started to happen when I tried exporting this project using the media encoder program. Encoding this 1 minute timeline took a whopping 45 minutes using openCL, whereas my older intel build with these speccs;

CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: intel HD4600 (integrated)

RAM: 4 x4GB
Mobo: MSI z97 Gaming 5
SSD: (Same as the above)

Latest Adobe PremierePro CC build is also installed

would do it in 25 seconds, give or take. This was also using OpenCl. I have been running a hardware monitor when I started playback or encoding and it would show me 100% GPU usage all the time with a few percentage dips here and there. The strange thing is that when I use the 'software only rendering' option I have no problems at all. It's slower(1 minute and 25seconds) compared to what GPU accelaration should be in this case as far as I know, but it works.

Most of my projects require me to have as little rendering time as possible, so what am I doing wrong here?
Is this a driver issue from AMD's side or something different? Any help would be apppreciated!

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

1. id say lose the amd cards for now.. aim to replace it with something along the lines of a gtx 1070... 1080 if you can afford one... EVGA has alot of great options for those cards.. you could try a 1060, but i think you will be happy with the upper end of the spectrum.

2. you need to absolutely run either the "High Performance" or "Ryzen Balanced" power profile in Windows..

3. Make absolutely sure you disable the HPET for good...

Then open up command prompt as an administrator and execute..

C:\Win

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that comes to mind is Step 4a.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all a big thank you for your response Jim, though I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed that apparently AMD hardware is not being supported as much as Intel/Nvidia or at least that's what I conclude from what you posted in the article (correct me if I'm wrong).  I build this PC almost exclusive for editing purposes, and after seeing some great and positive reviews for the new ryzen platform I made my choice to switch from Intel to AMD. I'm considering returning my RX 470 and switching back to Nvidia after reading this. In any case thank you again for your response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the RED footage 4K or greater resolution?

Turn off OpenCL rendering and use software. The RX470 is way too slow for serious rendering. That's why the Intel system is faster, becuase it's NOT using OpenCL.

I have a RX580 with 8GB or Ram, and it is just okay when dealing with 4K H.264. It's much better working with DNxHR/ProRes footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. id say lose the amd cards for now.. aim to replace it with something along the lines of a gtx 1070... 1080 if you can afford one... EVGA has alot of great options for those cards.. you could try a 1060, but i think you will be happy with the upper end of the spectrum.

2. you need to absolutely run either the "High Performance" or "Ryzen Balanced" power profile in Windows..

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

it will either tell you that the element was not found, meaning it is already off, or it will complete successfully and shut off HPET.. either way, after that, reboot.

4. you should be handling premier nicely at this point... the most drastic difference will be from the gpu... but the others are also critical..

you also can at this point bump your cpu frequency up a little bit as the stock speeds on the 1700 are pretty low... id probably shoot for around 3.6ghz on your chip as it is plenty fast and running more than comfortable.. and premiere should fly...

Let me know if you need any help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late to the party, but a big thank you for all the help nevertheless .
The problem was indeed taking place at the GPU side of things, I returned my RX 470 and got myself a GTX 1070 instead.
I also bumped up the CPU frequency as you suggested and my build has been one of the best I have had in years for my workflow in Premiere Pro.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the 1070 card does it matter if you get the model that uses Direct X or the model that uses CUDA cores?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For NVidia Cards either will work, but as I recollect, Adobe (and generally, the industry as a whole) are moving to the non-proprietary OpenCL as GPGPU language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

estarkey  wrote

For NVidia Cards either will work, but as I recollect, Adobe (and generally, the industry as a whole) are moving to the non-proprietary OpenCL as GPGPU language.

Well they (non-CUDA) vendors have a long way to go.  I just got my first PPBM GPU accelerated results from a Threadripper owner and he was able to test it with both an AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition ($999) and an nVidia  ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ($750 & up) .  The AMD scored 27 seconds and the CUDA card was more than twice as fast at 13 seconds!  My very old GTX 680 scored 28 seconds, and my pair of GTX 1060 6GB SC ($280 x 2) scored 15 seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know the difference if you ran the GTX's in OpenCL instead of CUDA. I bet you see similar performance. The Vega FE drivers are pants right now, and I bet well see >40 improvement by Q1 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that is that Adobe has permanently disabled OpenCL support in all Windows versions of Premiere Pro to date with an nVidia GPU installed, leaving CUDA and software only as the only choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I had no idea. I though since Adobe stopped actively supporting CUDA in After Effects (choosing the Cinema 4D renderer, which utilizes OpenCL), they would at least keep both options available for CUDA cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the version of Cinema4D in After Effects does not currently support hardware GPU acceleration. Instead, it relies almost entirely on the CPU, and what little "accelerated" features use OpenGL (not to be confused with OpenCL); hence, it's "software only". (Paid, standalone versions of Cinema4D use OpenCL.) No wonder why After Effects currently uses very little GPU power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how it would be possible to run a GTX with Open CL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DflippinK  wrote

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

This tip made a huge difference for me. I was wondering why my overclocked Ryzen 7 1800x with 1080Ti was laggy on playback. It just didn't make any sense. My 4790K with 980Ti felt snappier during editing. After switching off HPET and rebooting as you recommended, my system felt much better, playing back even complex sequences with few frame drops. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to have helped!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as estarkey points out, its possible the rx 470 is overloaded with red media vs the 8 cores on the ryzen cpu. whats the cpu usage % when exporting on the ryzen system, with opencl and with software only? when you do opencl whats the gpu usage %? you can use gpu-z  to see it (gpu load %).

some other considerations, do you have the ram running at 2666?  you could probably also overclock the ryzen cpu to 3.4-3.6ghz, or slightly higher if you have a decent cooler, if you want slightly better performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test you new system with my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and let us see how it works with this Premiere Pro test tool.  The H.264 timeline has some 4K R3D media in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your render times like now with the 1070 and the overclock? I just built a 1700X system and I'm waiting for the price of the AMD RX Vega to drop to something sane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My render times are pretty good actually! I just finished a larger project, with mostly 4K H.264 footage, color correction applied etc. I rendered the eight episodes of the project (+/- 20 minutes of footage per episode) to 1080p H.264 in about 14 minutes per episode give or take.

I'm very pleased about my build in general, I have been from the beginning.
In my opinion Ryzen is one of the greatest things to happen to the CPU market in years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I have the same issue but with a rx470 and the only thing that work for me is killing the asus aura gpu process in the task manager and disable the steam home stream so I can use the opengl without dropping frames in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your detective work.  Just another couple of programs that interfere with video editing.  Every new computer must be tuned to get rid of these type CPU/GPU stealing performance programs and processes.  My editing only windows 10 computer at startup is as seen below, this is extreme while my Internet cruising laptop has 70 processes   :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines