• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash, crash, crashity-crash.

Enthusiast ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've rebooted. I've shut all the way down, waited a bit, and restarted. Trashed preferences. And still the ever-so-helpful "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly." Any ideas? I'm running CC on Windows 10.

Thanks!

~Valerie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Sorry...I let this slip off my radar. I went on vacation and my computer died the day after I came back, so it kind of became a moot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Which version exactly of InDesign?
  2. One file or all files or just on opening InDesign?
  3. Did you manually delete the InDesign SavedData file and the InDesign Defaults file, or did you just use the keyboard shortcut to trash preferences?
  4. Have you disabled GPU Performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Ummm...I dunno. From what I can see before it crashes, it just says 2017 version.
2. Sometimes it'll let me open ID and get as far as trying to open a file, sometimes it just crashes before it's open. Hmmm...just tried again. It opened, so I tried opening an old file, which opened, and then I tried the file I need to be working on, and it crashed. Corrupt file, do you think? Corrupt file that I juuuuust completed today and only needed to export to PDF?
3. Just the keyboard shortcut.

4. That's a new one to me. How?

Thanks, Barb!

~Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Valerie:

1. Help > About InDesign
  2. OK, so...
  3. Let's delete those files (Note that these are normally hidden files, so you will need to set your system to show hidden files):
    • InDesign Defaults: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\

• InDesign SavedData: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\

4. Edit > Preferences > GPU Performance to turn it off (but let's delete the other files first)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. 2017.0 Release, 12.0.0.81 x64 Build.
2. ...
3. Deleted

(Attempt to open file. Crash. Restart. Crash before ID opens. Restart.)

4. I don't have the GPU Performance menu option.

Thanks!

~V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a free upgrade that may help (2017.1, build 12.1.0.56). You can update within InDesign (Help > Updates) or use the CC Desktop app.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Again, thanks so much for your help. I did the upgrade, and it appears that the file itself is the problem (sent it to someone in the office, and it crashed his ID, too). Is there any hope for healing a corrupt file? CrashPlan, unbeknownst to me, had decided at some point to stop backing up, so I have no other version of the file, and I confess my lower lip trembles a bit at the thought of having to restart a whole book from scratch.

~V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Valerie:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Here is a post to help you deal with a corrupt file—let's start by working you way through the list.

Note that if all else fails, you can send your file to Markzware, and they can attempt to recover it (for a fee). They have been successful with multiple forum users who find themselves in your predicament.

Let me know how this turns out,

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. I've tried everything on that troubleshooting list that I can do without opening the document, and it's a no-go.

Here's what's still a problem, though: sometimes ID still won't open at all. Would I be better off reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to give that a try, be sure to use the CC cleaner tool in between removing and reinstalling.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh...so I should uninstall ALL of CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen the answer to this question—but the file from Adobe that I sent you states that for Windows: "Select the application that you want to remove..." so that sounds like you can just remove InDesign. Since you can't move forward until you get InDesign working, I'd say start there, and then remove all if you need to.

Google Chromess_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks! I can't remember now what I saw that made me think I had to ditch all of it.  ;^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah...here's what confuses me -- you can't select individual apps in the cleaner itself. Is it OK to clean all when not all are uninstalled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here, at least is a bit of good news: Turns out I did have a good backup...just hiding in a confusing place. So once I can get ID cleaned up and reinstalled, at least I won't have to redo my book from scratch! :^D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just going to select option 1 and see what happens. I have GOT to try to get some work done this week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, it uninstalled everything except Acrobat. I just hope I didn't do any damage by not uninstalling them first. I, and I'm sure future users, would greatly appreciate seeing the instructions for using the cleaner greatly updated and clarified.

Also for the record, nothing is solved. ID wouldn't even open, much less give me a chance to open a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sad to hear that Indesign is crashing for you despite all the efforts

Most likely your file is corrupt

Can you share your file at amaarora@adobe.com so that I can have a look at it?

Are you opening Indesign after cleaning cache and preferences both from the creative cloud or from the application folder?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Aman.

As previously mentioned, ID is crashing even before I open any file. And, as shown above, even after reinstalling. (I did also have a corrupt file, but I was able to restore a clean backup.)

Also as previously mentioned, I trashed the preferences at startup.

If you could please reread the entire thread to see what we have already tried, I would appreciate it so we're not repeating everything. Thanks.  

~Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

kyriosity  wrote

I did the upgrade, and it appears that the file itself is the problem (sent it to someone in the office, and it crashed his ID, too).

And hence i said that it might be a case of file corruption.

kyriosity  wrote

Also as previously mentioned, I trashed the preferences at startup.

Can you also re-ensure that you have deleted both preferences AND cache manually from the locations specified by Barb above?

These things are said repeatedly only to be doubly sure that every debugging action that can make InDesign back to running fine is done properly. I do understand that it is a pain and troublesome at times specially when the software does not work as expected.

If yes and then also InDesign is crashing is only indicative of the fact that either:

You are using a third party plugin or some application or antivirus is interfering the creative cloud apps on your system.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Valerie,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry...I let this slip off my radar. I went on vacation and my computer died the day after I came back, so it kind of became a moot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Valerie:

If you didn't end up uninstalling/reinstalling, would you mind confirming that you manually deleted both the InDesign SavedData file and the InDesign Defaults file?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines