Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling the object without distorting it

Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have an object with rounded corners at left top and right bottom. the whole thing is "bent" to right with 25%. It´s the background for short texts. Sometimes the text needs two lines, sometimes only one. The width is different as well.

SF_Störer.jpg

Is it possible to change the width OR the hight of an object (created by me) without distorting it? And I am not meaning, with the "direct selection"-tool (white arrow) by marking each point I want to move.

hopfully my explanation is clear enough...

thanx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

bubble.jpg

Maybe this image will help. The 9-slice will really only work with the horizontal scaling here, so you'll have to decide how you want vertical scaling to look. You could just proportionally scale it, but I don't think that's what you want. I think what you're looking for might be if you cut the bubble from the triangle and proportionally scale it. Before you scale, move the pivot point to the right corner where the triangle and bubble meet.

Also here's a video on 9-slice scaling Using 9-slice scaling options with symbols

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a Vector image, select it all, Expand it and then use the Scale tool to scale it by however many times are necessary. If it has a stroke applied you may want to select the Scale Strokes option before doing so.

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi theangietaylor

it is a vector. Maybe I was not that clear: I change only one parameter. Either the width or the height. The angle and the radius must stay the same!

here some exemples:

two lines (correct shape)

two lines.jpg

two lines (wrong shape)

short.jpg

one line (correct shape)

one line.jpg

one line (wrong shape)

one line_wrong.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the rounded corners created with the round corners widget?

Because then they wouldn't be such a pain.

But it would still be impossible to make it longer in this tilted direction without using the sirect selection tool.

You might want to show us before and after and provide a sample file, so that not everyone has to rebuild the thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... in InDesign it´s no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... in InDesign it´s no problem.

Not quite.

The sheared rectangle with rounded corners is no problem. But as soon as this triangle is added to the shape, you will get a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be tempted to separate he triangle at the bottom from the main "balloon" so that they are two distinct objects grouped together. Then to scale the balloon, double click to go into Isolation mode where it can be scaled without affecting the "triangle"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you´re right, there ARE two objects. Otherwise it would be inpossible.

The pointing shape ("triangle") never changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert it to a symbol (F8) and select Enable Guides for 9-Slice Scaling. Then adjust the guides. What is outside the guides won't change when you scale the symbol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s an interresting feature. Thanks Myra!

Unfurtunately I didn´t found out yet how to use it for solving my problem...

But I´m not giving up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bubble.jpg

Maybe this image will help. The 9-slice will really only work with the horizontal scaling here, so you'll have to decide how you want vertical scaling to look. You could just proportionally scale it, but I don't think that's what you want. I think what you're looking for might be if you cut the bubble from the triangle and proportionally scale it. Before you scale, move the pivot point to the right corner where the triangle and bubble meet.

Also here's a video on 9-slice scaling Using 9-slice scaling options with symbols

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. thank you Myra.

The solution would be: two forms. One for simple and one for double lines. Both variable in width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And try my suggestion of using isolation mode for the scaling, it may be the easiest way to achieve the resizing of the individual object from the group.

hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines