• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Come on Adobe!!! [Time to bring the Creative Cloud to Linux]

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's time Adobe! Bring the Creative Cloud to Linux! With the new package installers like Snap Packs and App Images you can make one installer for all Linux distributions. Here are just some of the commercial tools that have already come over:

EditShare Lightworks

Davinci Resolve

BMD Fusion

Nuke

Nuke Studio

Mocha

3DsMax

Maya

Modo

AND MORE!

Not to mention amazing projects that are becoming more standard in the industry like Blender and Krita.

Adobe, you can and should bring the Creative Cloud to Linux now!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same old, same old: Not the right market. It's the difference of people wanting to drive a Porsche (Nuke etc.) and willing to pay for it vs. average users settling for a family van. Sorry, but as far as creative desktop programs go, Linux is pretty much non-existant and most of what you listed is only relevant in the context of specialized 3D programs, compositing, VFX. Even there it's just a part of the overall market as most users outside larger facilities run their apps on Windows and OSX. So like it or not, it's not going to happen, at least not for all apps and least of all most likely the video apps. There could be a slim chance for web tools like Dreamweaver and of course everyone needs Photoshop, but the rest not so much. Many of those programs relying on code specifically tailored to mainstream OSes clearly doesn't make things easier. Adobe are not going to invest the money and time to convert those tools for a handful of users...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree partially! Yes, Linux is the "Porsche" of OSes LOL! Much of the use of Linux has been held back by not having the CC. OSX used to be in the same boat. If CC never went to OSX there's no way Mac would be where it is today. I have talked to many different people who dual boot or at least play with Linux, and I ask them why they haven't switched completely and almost all of them say because they still need the Creative Cloud. The market is there, it's just not developed!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have talked to many different people who dual boot or at least play with Linux, and I ask them why they haven't switched completely and almost all of them say because they still need the Creative Cloud. The market is there, it's just not developed!!!

Not really. Your surroundings are coloring your perceptions. If you ask "normal" users at advertising and design agencies and such, you will barely find anyone having even heard of Linux or replies like "Our file server runs on it." They just won't put up with it for their daily workflows. Yes, Linux is reasonably widespread in some circles like 3D, but even there it merely represents a fraction of the overall user base. For instance Modo only exists on Linux because Disney and Digital Domain wanted it (and helped with finances and development) and now other big facilities like MPC have adopted it, too. Similar observations could be made for other programs - if a tool started out as an in-house development (Nuke for instance) or a reasonably large single customer requests that some piece of software exists on Linux, then it's likely it may happen, but as far as Adobe is concerned, it's really not their market. Compared to what they can make with existing Mac and Windows users, this is negligible. You can even cite history here: We all were mightily disappointed when Adobe ceased development of Photoshop on IRIX way back then. If you consider, that this was a much more profitable market with the cheapest SGI workstations costing an arm and a leg, the signs are clear. It's simply unlikely the majority of CC apps will ever come to an operating system that, depending on which studies you trust, only makes up anywhere from 3 to 11 percent of all desktop computers, many of which aren't even used for creative design, when it's going to cost them millions and it would take 20 years to recover those losses. Again, I say: It's never going to happen with a few exceptions.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One, cost them millions?! I don't think so. Look at ALL of the open source projects that have their applications running on Windows, Mac, and Linux(And even BSD at times). Blender, GIMP, Krita, Firefox, Audacity, etc etc etc. They often do it with little to no funding! And even closed source and paid applications like Lightworks, Chrome, Resolve, Fusion, etc.

Two, Linux continues to grow! Irix just faded away. Every year the user numbers of Linux go up. And, it's not like Linux is an inferior OS as far as it's capabilities... FAR from it! It's just keeps getting better and better every year.

Like I said, I think that if Adobe brought out even just a few of their apps for Linux(Photoshop, Premiere, AE etc) all the dual booters, full users, and "wish they could" users would come out of the wood work and at least make it worth while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had Adobe CC for Linux I would not even touch the ugly windows OS .All Microsoft does is lying and promises which never get fulfilled, the whole compute industry is a big mafia, Microsoft is not alone big names stand next to it such as Adobe, by renting its software Adobe made a beautiful record of itself that how much greedy a company can get, of course that happens when a society becomes sissified and most of all GODLESS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd add my two cents.

Took a job that only had Adobe CC on a Windows box. CC absolutely screams on Windows - fast, responsive, love it and was really *REALLY* surprised. This is coming from an Apple person who has been an Apple person since my first Quadra (650? Been so long, forgot the model number circa '93 or '94).

Having said that - if Adobe would create a Linux version - I'd replace my home/office Apple in a heart beat. And probably will with a Windows box in the future if there is no linux movement from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea of Cloud on Linux https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1057800 has been discussed for several years... has not happened, and I personally don't think it will ever happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will happen, it's just a matter of showing Adobe that their users are here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, Adobe Brackets runs on Linux desktop OS.  

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

• Mac OSX 10.6.8 or newer
  • Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1, 10 (x32 and x64) (installer requires administrator access)
  • Linux Ubuntu 12.04 or newer (x32 and x64)
  • Debian Linux 8 or newer

I'm sure Adobe are looking at several years of collected data on how many Brackets downloads each OS receives.   That said, coders are more likely to use Linux than your average Creative Cloud user would.  My optimistic guess is Linux receives about 3-4% of all Brackets downloads.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I've been held back from switching to Linux on account of Adobe not having ported its CC suite to Linux yet. I can't wait to get rid of Windows and OSX.
By not listening to its user base, Adobe creates a gap that may be easily filled by one of their competitors, who would leverage on the dissatisfaction Adobe has generated with their recent changes in CC plans.  Granted, while every single statement I have made is debatable, Linux is becoming more and more ubiquitos than ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If Adobe did provide the creative cloud for Linux, I'd jump on it without a second thought.

Black Magic did the move & their applications are more stable and faster than the other two Operating Systems (verified through several tests).

If they want to do it, they can. The source code doesn't alter almost at all. It's all about kernel modules and set dependencies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines