• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image adjustment

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 and an image in gray scale and 8 bit/channel.

Question 1) I am trying to work on "levels" under image adjustments. Even though I do see changes on image as preview, the changes are gone once I hit OK button. What do I do to see the changes on the image?

Question 2) If I add a level as a layer, I do see the changes in image. However, once the image is saved as tiff and the saved image is opened using a different program such as ImageJ, the changes are not seen. How can I have changes seen in such a case?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

You must view at 100% for a reliable preview of adjustments.The adjustment effect you're seeing in the preview is an artifact, not real.

For performance reasons, adjustment previews are calculated based on the on-screen image. At other zoom ratios than 100%, this is a scaled/resampled and therefore softened version. This introduces mid-tone values where none are in the original.

Halftone screens, or black and white line art, will show this very dramatically. But also very noisy images, like a star

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show some screen shots? I'm not seeing this happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must view at 100% for a reliable preview of adjustments.The adjustment effect you're seeing in the preview is an artifact, not real.

For performance reasons, adjustment previews are calculated based on the on-screen image. At other zoom ratios than 100%, this is a scaled/resampled and therefore softened version. This introduces mid-tone values where none are in the original.

Halftone screens, or black and white line art, will show this very dramatically. But also very noisy images, like a starry night sky.

Consider this:

screen.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is pretty difficult to know what is happening with your first question. If you can share a screen capture of the image and the levels settings we might be able to help.

For question #2, it's possible that the other program you are using can't read the layers, and non destructive edits of a levels adjustment layer as you are describing. What is the 'other' program you are viewing the file with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With Levels "not taking", it's always about not viewing at 100%. Wait and see 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines