• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why in the hell is Adobe forcing me to install Mcafee???

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As if it were not enough to receive constant flash player updates anouncements, the last one came with a surprise. This time Adobe didn't allow me to choose whether to install mcafee or not (btw shame on you Adobe for making me to have to uncheck that box every time). A pop up window shown up with the download status of both Flash player update and mcafee, and installed it without asking. Why should I have to loose my time having to uninstall mcafee? Why should I have to loose my time having to uncheck that box every other time? How do I know Mcafee has not left anything in my computer after uninstall? I have my own antivirus, so please, just stop annoying your users with that kind of annoying behaviour.

PS: I don't install anything automatically before checking how it was for other users, so save your advices on enable updates automatically.

SHAME ON YOU!

Manuel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the Adobe Flash Player installer directly by clicking one of the following links.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Nothing but the installer there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Same here.  I made sure my orginial installation did not install Mc Afee. Now this update tried to quietly sneak in Mc Afee again.  I stopped the installer as soon as a noticed.

I've decided to uninstall flash alltogether. Most video sites use  HTML5 players now.  And let's be honest: flash is primarily used for banners. Not a single mainstream website relies on flash.  Ergo: I don't need flash player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are THOUSANDS of sites that still use Flash including NetFlix and Facebook. You may not need it, but millions worldwide do, so "more power to you if you" can get by without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we'll see where my non-flash experience comes to a halt. I seem to get around the web on my iPad just fine, furthermore the vlc-mediaplayer has a browser plugin that plays flv too. (only fullscreen, but it's do-able). Youtube, Vimeo, Steam and some late night videoservices offer mp4 / html5.  I have no experience with facebook and netflix, because i don't use those services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erics wrote:

I have no experience with facebook and netflix, because i don't use those services.

Welcome to the club. Facebook INSISTED that I provide them (and no doubt, the NSA) with a cellhpone number in order to keep my account. I told them where they could find a cellphone number for me (in hell) and they blocked me by IP address. I've never used NetFlix either because I don't believe in "renting" movies. If I want to pay to see a film once, I'll go to the theater and deal with screaming kids, rude people talking on their cellphones, and sticky floors full of crushed popcorn. On second thought, no... I won't. I'll just buy it, rip it, and watch it over and over with VLC at my leisure.

As I said, "More power to you". I'll still help people here to use their Flash Player, though, and install it without bundled software when they ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[profanity removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously didn't read post #1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I obviously don't care Mike. Don't make lame excuses for Adobe slipping Mcafee's dirty paws up my skirt. Shoot straight or STFU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a9o9 wrote:

And I obviously don't care

You obviously don't care what you let on your computer, then blame others.  Most free softwares these days come with bundled software, and users can always decline them.

Stop attacking other forum users or you will be banned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI, Flash presented itself on my Win 7 system saying I needed an update. I elected to take the update.

It then asked me to download a file, which I did. My browser saved the download link as

http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/live/install_flashplayer15x32au_mssa_aaa_aih.exe.

I saved the file to disk and it was scanned by Norton and judged to be safe. I then launched the .exe file and it proceeded to install Flash and McAfee.

No option to decline was offered.

I consider that to be unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally this occurs because there's a third-party plug-in that affects how the JavaScript on the page got executed.  Ghostery, AdBlock Pro and NoScript are common candidates.

Under normal operating conditions, you should see an opt-out dialog like the one below.  While cost-recovery measure are a reality for a product that is tremendously expensive to develop and distribute free of charge, the intent is absolutely to allow you to opt out.

McAffee Checkbox.PNG

If you want to avoid the download and installation experience for Flash altogether, switch to a browser that includes Flash Player as a built-in component, like Google Chrome or Internet Explorer on Windows 8 and higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind that.....why are all videos that ran smoothly for countless years suddenly not able to play....if we need an update, i'm fine with that.....but don't force feed it to us by blocking older videos that worked just fine without it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be happy to help you with the video issue; however, it's off-topic for this particular thread.  Everyone on this thread gets email updates when there's new activity...

Please start a new thread (I don't seem to be able to branch threads at the moment...), and include the following information:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195540

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

locking thread to prevent additional email notifications for the original posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines