Copied

Current notebook has access to 4 drives. The OS is on:

Drive 1 C: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe

Also has two Internal drives:

Drive 2 D: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD

Drive 3 E: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive

And one external:

Drive 4 F: Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD

Going by Harm M's. Guidelines, with 4 Disks it's suggested that beyond the OS drive, Premiere settings should be configured with Media/projects, Pagefile/Cache, and Previews/Exports on separate drives.

Obviously the 1TB 7200 SATA is by far the slowest drive, so wondering which area of Premiere should I assign that drive to, and what's the best way to assign the remaining drives?

D: Media,Projects (which drive?)
E: Pagefile, Media Cache (which drive?)
F: Previews, Exports (which drive?)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget drive E for any files except backup and archiving   Drive D is fast enough for all the project files, media and exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget drive E for any files except backup and archiving   Drive D is fast enough for all the project files, media and exports.

Thanks-- that makes sense. However if I were to replace that 7200 HD with a faster SSD drive, would that provide a way to segregate the drives somehow to achieve greater performance, or would the improvement be negligible? Using it as the cache drive for example. Mainly working with HD a some 4k video source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my testing on the basic functions of Premiere I have not been able to see any difference over my two SSD basic configuration. The super speed M.2 SSD's have so much bandwidth that for Premiere basic usage that unless you are doing extremely complex projects with very heavy multitasking the old rulle of lots of drives is obsolete 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my testing on the basic functions of Premiere I have not been able to see any difference over my two SSD basic configuration. The super speed M.2 SSD's have so much bandwidth that for Premiere basic usage that unless you are doing extremely complex projects with very heavy multitasking the old rulle of lots of drives is obsolete

That's interesting. Of course I knew these SSDs were much faster but didn't really appreciate HOW much faster until I ran some of my own disk speed tests. Really opened my eyes. Given your experience now I'll not be all that concerned now with the need to run additional drives to segregate areas of Premiere as I'm not a heavy multitasker.

Thanks for the input Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice to see Harm's name mentioned. It's good sometimes to see people are remembered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines