• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I resolve, prevent and remove duplicate index key words?

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I'd like to resolve in in my index is: I have mutiple 'Getting Started' topics in each module (for example). When I open the Index in the application and click 'Getting Started' I am presented with 41 selections. Could be more, I stopped counting after 41 and refused to scroll. I would have to click on each one to find the "Getting Started" topic I was looking for. I know as an end user that I would come un-glued if I had to click and close 41+ topics in my quest for help . Help should be ... well, helpful. If I need help the last thing I'm looking for is annoyance at a tool that I hoped would be my salvation. As I'm writing this I'm beginning to wonder if what I want can be accomplished. What can I do to indicate to the user what specific topic any given "Getting Started' refers to so they don't find themselves instead in a click and close coma? It seems to me that I have a bloated, out of control index. Any suggestions on how I might put my index on a diet and provide optimal index effectiveness??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 14, 2008 Nov 14, 2008
I was thinking of the former. I have a Getting Started book because I have other topics that a new user needs to look at. I'd say that a single getting started topic would suffice for you with links elsewhere. If I was pedantic I'd remain those other topics to "xxxxxxxx Overview" though.

Indented keywords are really just to provide a second level of index. For example you can have a first level of "Creating" and a second level of "Topics", "Table of Contents", etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try renaming the topics to something like "Module A Getting Started", "Module B Getting Started", etc. but I'd also suggest that having 40+ topics against a keyword is not the right way to do things. I personally wouldn't have 40+ Getting Started topics. By all means have an Overview topic at the start of each main area of your help and link to other parts of the same book (e.g. to the major tasks).

A better way however may be to have a single Getting Started book at (or near to) the top of your TOC which tells the users what they can do. Then link to the topics elsewhere in the TOC that provide the detail.

As far as indexing is concerned, we have an unwritten rule that you have no more than two index levels and no more than 5-6 topics per keyword. If you think this is impossible maybe you need to look at how you are indexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2008 Nov 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm just learning all this and I inherited the project I'm working on. In either case I started going through the index and removing the links unnecessary links to tone it down a bit. As far as the Getting Started topics, I think I'll create one Getting Started topic that contains links to all the Getting Started topics. A one stop shop if you will. Does that sound like a reasonable solution? Is that what you mean when you suggest the Getting Started book. Or rather Create the book and put all the Getting Started topics in one book while attaching a descriptive names to each so the user can distinguish one from the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what is the purpose of the indented keywords?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.. I think I've found my answer to the indented keywords questions in RoboHelp help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of the former. I have a Getting Started book because I have other topics that a new user needs to look at. I'd say that a single getting started topic would suffice for you with links elsewhere. If I was pedantic I'd remain those other topics to "xxxxxxxx Overview" though.

Indented keywords are really just to provide a second level of index. For example you can have a first level of "Creating" and a second level of "Topics", "Table of Contents", etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Pedantic? I had to look that one up. That's my new word of the day. Anyway thanks for your suggestions and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp