Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Smart Object Error

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I import Raw files from Lightroom to Photoshop as smart objects but after doing it for a number of files, say aprox. 10 I start getting error message "Could not edit original smart object because of a program error" when I double click on the smart object to open it in Camera RAW.  Only way around this seems to restart the computer. If close Photoshop it then fails to open again.

I have increased the cache for Camera Raw to 10gb but it makes no difference.

Can someone please help.

thanks

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

I do not use Lightroom.  However I know the Lighroom developed RAW file open in  Photoshop through ACR and Lightroom's RAW Conversion  Adjustments and setting are used ACR. Lightroom and ACR use the same Adobe RAW conversion engine.  ACR should have no Problem opening 10 or more RAW files as smart object layers into Photoshop Documents.  If your machine has sufficient resources. Here I started Photoshop CC 2017.  Used menu File>Open and selected 23 Canon 1D MkII 8MP Raw files.  ACR UI opened wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not use Lightroom.  However I know the Lighroom developed RAW file open in  Photoshop through ACR and Lightroom's RAW Conversion  Adjustments and setting are used ACR. Lightroom and ACR use the same Adobe RAW conversion engine.  ACR should have no Problem opening 10 or more RAW files as smart object layers into Photoshop Documents.  If your machine has sufficient resources. Here I started Photoshop CC 2017.  Used menu File>Open and selected 23 Canon 1D MkII 8MP Raw files.  ACR UI opened with 23 thumbnail in its Filmstrip.  I use select all from the filmstrips fly-out menu to select all the thumbnails. Held the shift key and clicked Open Objects. ACR created 23 documents in Photoshop with a Smart Object layer with a RAW File Objects  in 16Bit color depth ProPhotoRGB.   The Task manager showed the CC 2017 memory usage was 4GB and the File explores showed the Photoshop main scratch file was 11GB. You would of course also have Lightroom open along with Photoshop.  I have no idea of how much machine resources Lightroom uses.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines