• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Adobe qualifications are necessary for me to work as an Illustrator?

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm a self taught Adobe CS6 Illustrator who has applied for countless jobs in the creative field over the past 3 and received rejection after rejection.

I consider my work to be of a high standard as well as my understanding of the software, so maybe it's my lack of qualifications and In-Design/Illustrator knowledge that are holding me back, which is why iv'e decided to do some courses in CS6, In-Design and Illustrator.

Before doing so, i'd like to know what qualifications employers look for on a CV.

If anyone knows or have recommendations for courses i'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the u/k you would require a formal qualification in graphic design/illustration. The higher the better, a college degree may surfice to get you into the profession, but a university degree is now the norm.

A knowledge of the software used would be part of that qualification, but is not program specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply

I am based in the UK. Do you know much about ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) qualifications and what they mean to an employer?.

The Adobe UK exam section of their site takes you through to a company called Pearson Vue who conduct the examinations, the end result being an ACE qualification...just wondering if it's worth my time?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACE status doesn't mean you're good.  It just means you're able to pass a competency exam about a particular product version.   If you teach at an Adobe training center or write about Adobe products, the ACE status might benefit you professionally.  However, employers want to see an impressive portfolio and verifiable work experience. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Well in terms of my portfolio, i think it's ok, i mean it could always be better. I just released a childrens book though and have done a lot of freelance work of late...but i still face rejection when applying for jobs in the creative field.

This is some of my work, i personally believe it's of industry standard

TonyLavagna (@tonylavagna_art) • Instagram photos and videos

Perhaps i'm being rejected due to lack of industry experience, but how does one gain industry experience in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

However, employers want to see an impressive portfolio and verifiable work experience. 

That may have been the case a number of years ago, but in the last 10-20 years here in the u/k only the last part applies.

Employers here in the uk, will not pass someones cv on to the department heads unless they think the major qualifications meet the requirerments, and the deparment head will only look at the short listed 2-3 portfolio, (from the list of 5-10 sent by 'human resources') and even then it only a cursory glance at the portfolio.

If the OP is willing to take the risk, an agency staff placement may be worth looking into, and in that situation the ace exam may be worth while, (i did say maybe) but here in the uk even that route into a permanent position of employment is becomming more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often times it's not a lack of talent that contributes to artists winning or losing out on contracts. Do you have a target client list? Do you know who is winning jobs that you are going for? Have you asked for an informational interview with an ideal client, art director or someone that you respect for candid feedback on your work?

Understanding how to navigate the arena that you want to play in can make a difference in how you approach finding cients, full time work or contract opportunities. Along with demonstrated talent, having business savvy and confidence in your ability to deliver what your on the hook for in a timely, competitively priced package can't be underrated.

In today's competitive landscape talent is not enough. The alternative is to get good enough where you can hire a rep to find work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always ask for feedback from every interview i manage to get. Most companies dont reply but when they do the feedback is never really too helpful, they'll just say something along the lines of "we just found someone we thought was more suitable for the role", which leaves you with the question of how they're more suitable.

I'm trying to get into illustrating for children's books.

I have as i previously mentioned recently released my own children's book.

Do you think this will carry any weight in an interview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at Creative Career Postings on Behance as an example, a portfolio is a necessary part of the application process.  You won't be considered without one.   How much weight it carries beyond that is of course anybody's guess.  It probably varies a lot by the position applied for.

While many companies mention which software they expect you to be proficient with, they almost never mention which versions.  And each ACE exam is version specific.   I can't say how much weight an ACE in Illustrator CS6 would carry to a company that's using latest & greatest MS Office, Creative Cloud and Adobe Experience Manager.   Likewise an ACE in Premier Pro might get frowned upon if the agency only uses Avid Media Composer or FinalCut Pro.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ace exam is only worth your time sitting, if you already have a qualification in graphic design/illustration.

10-20 years ago this was not always the case, as employers were much more willing to 'go on ability', unfortunatly now the biggest hurdle for anyone trying to get a position within any profession(s), is getting that interview, and the first thing employers will look at, (except name and age) is your qualifications, with program specific ones such as the ace qualification, being well down the list.

Only if they have to decide between say 2-3 short-listed candidates would the ace qualification count for anything.

Remember any program you use is to the employer just a tool-of-the-trade, and if for any reason they do not use the one you have taken the exam for!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lavish34  wrote

Hi all

I'm a self taught Adobe CS6 Illustrator who has applied for countless jobs in the creative field

I wouldn't even consider you... sorry to be harsh but CS6 is finished and if you don't have | use CC then you don't have the skills to work in creative fields

old Mac system users could prob get a job working for Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. So when did CC become the standard?. I ask because most jobs i apply for simply ask for knowledge of PS, Illustrator and In-Design. To be honest not a single job listing has mentioned CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc became the standard 5 years ago and employers' today would assume you know that before asking for a job in creative design... Best of luck to you mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

cc became the standard 5 years ago and employers' today would assume you know that before asking for a job in creative design... 

Not in the U/K.

A lot of companies and individuals in the uk are sticking with CS6 as the standard software from Adobe, as this was the last version that did not require a yearly subscription, (also the exchange rate makes CC unattractive to many 30-50% more than in USA).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Typical, we always seem to be slightly behind the times.

Not to belittle Ussnorways previous comment but when you're living in the UK and applying for art jobs here, it really isn't obvious that CC is the standard.

As i have previously mentioned, every art job i have applied for asks for knowledge of PS CS6, Illustrator and In-Design.

I will however invest in CC, it makes sense to have the latest versions of entire Creative suite

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines