• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom exporting to Hard Drive

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there has been lots of discussion about this but I need to know - is it possible to export photos from Lightroom to an external drive keeping the photos in date created order using an Apple MacBook Pro?? If so what are the steps I need to follow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

You would sort by File Name.

Have you previously renamed these images or are they from different cameras using a different file naming convention, usually first 3 characters letters?

If they are then when exporting and renaming you would need to use a "Custom Name" + Sequence number.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displaying photos in date created order is a function of your operating system (Mac Finder to be specific). If you want photos in date created order, have your operating system sort them in date created order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay when I have exported them to a hard drive I then have attempted to arrange them in date created order but it only re shuffles them. So maybe my question should be how do I get my operating system to sort them in date created order??

Sorry but I am totally new to this and have been struggling with it for a couple of weeks. Thanks for your help

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what "it only reshuffles them" means.

I am not a Mac user, but I believe there is a way in Mac Finder to display the date created and then sort by it. I'm sure your favorite search engine can find instructions on how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to finder and then open the hard drive and open the folder with the exported photos you can click Arrange By and then select from the list. If you select Date Created the photos are re arranged but still not in the order of Date Created.

Frustrating. Thanks for your time

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Date Created to Finder is the Date they were Created On the Hard Drive. Not when they were shot. AFAIK Finder does not have the option to sort images by the date/time the images were taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could sort the photos in capture data order, then export then using a sequential renaming, so that in Mac Finder you can sort by the sequential names of the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I cannot figure out how to sort photos in captured data order and how do export using sequential renaming?

I realize I am taking up your time so if it is to much to continue just let me know.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom use the menu command View->Sort

Then when you export, under File Naming, and then check Rename to: and select one of the renaming options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeffersonh  wrote

Thanks for your help. I cannot figure out how to sort photos in captured data order and how do export using sequential renaming?

I realize I am taking up your time so if it is to much to continue just let me know.

Thanks

In the library module to the right of Sort: select Capture Time.

In the Export dialog window under File Naming tick the check box then select "File Name - Sequence" then the Starting number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Shoot Me when I do what you have suggested I export the photos to hard drive but then when I select “Arrange” there is nothing for me to select to arrange in number sequence. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would sort by File Name.

Have you previously renamed these images or are they from different cameras using a different file naming convention, usually first 3 characters letters?

If they are then when exporting and renaming you would need to use a "Custom Name" + Sequence number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all from the same camera and have not been previously named.

Soccer Rocks - Kick the Ball

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did it, I did it!! After 3 weeks of playing around with this I have finally accomplished my goal only because of everyones patience and help. I have never used a forum before so have this result is absolutely fantastic. Thank you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the ways around this problem is to have the image files named after the capture date.

I use yyyymmdd_nnnn where the date is the capture date and nnnn is the original file number.

Not only does this get me unique file names across the whole system, sorting by name is the same as sorting by capture date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines