• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player does not work

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update of Flash Player I can not get it to work in Internet Explorer. I have followed all the recommendations in the knowledge base. Starting with completely un-installing flash form my computer, rebooting and re-installing it. Running SubInACL. Setting my security to what is recommended for the flash player. Nothing seems to get it to work. When ever I go to a site that needs the newest version I am asked to download it and am told that it installs successfully and the it is Version 9,0,124,0, But still I can not get the content from the website. It works fine using Firefox but I have to use IE is my primary browser because some of the site I visit regular only accept IE. What can I do to get Flash Player to work properly since I have tried all that is recommended in the knowledge base?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, exact same problem. I have no idea what changed on my system to cause Flash Player to stop working. I was at ESPN yesterday and instead of the normal video on the main page there was little note saying I needed to install Flash Player. I followed the link and the installation just fails and fails and fails. I tried all the troubleshooting methods I could find, nothing works. I can't watch any of the web video I'm used to watching.

Extremely annoyed and frustrated, and no idea what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2008 Aug 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since 1 year ago and more. I tested the flash player activex version 10.0.1.128 Beta, but this does't work in my Internet explorer 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2008 Aug 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a very similar issue. Some website (like youtube) do still function. However, many sites that run video and other flash items do not function and routinely suggest that I need flash player "X" or higher.

I have also run all the uninstallers (old and new) and installed the newest (as well as older) flash versions and none of them work.

I am running IE7 and XPSP2. I have read in some places that flash 9.0.115 had problems with corrupt installs, but that the uninstall process, as highlighted in the KB and on other websites, should work to rectify that. Those processes have done nothing for me.

The latest flash player (r.124) installs just fine, no issues, and the version checker reports that it is 9.0.124.0 as it should... however, many websites disagree. Abc.com's video player is one of the sites I check when I've attempted uninstalls and reinstalls because it won't even load, simply stating version 8 is necessary to play video.

I would LOVE to get back to viewing flash content, this problem is VERY aggravating.

I do not know the in's and out's of how the flash player installs and registers itself, but it would seem that something beyond the flash player file(s) itself is the issue. The files are in the right location and seem to be intact... I have a feeling it is something with the registry and/or with Java, but of course that is just speculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well... it seems as though Ive solved my own problem. I truly hope that others can find this solution and that it works for them because this has been giving me a headache for quite a while.

as suspected, I believe that Java was part of the problem. since there were a few steps taken prior to getting flash to function properly I cant say for sure if that was the only issue (or if it was truly the issue) but none the less, here is what I did.

1- uninstalled all versions of flash (through add/remove and uninstallers)
2- uninstalled all versions of java (also deleted everything left in the c:\programfiles\java\ folder)

now, in an effort to be sure I had cleaned ALL the java versions installed (since they have a habit of not cleaning themselves out and have multiple versions being simultaneously present) I came across the MS Installer Cleanup utility. I downloaded and attemped to run it, but had an issue. I found the following website addressed my issue and I ran the .dll register as they suggested. I make this note because I have no way of knowing whether or not the .dll registration process affected flash operability.

3- fix VBscript .dll error ( http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/209/1/Error-Cant-find-script-engine-VBScript-for-script-when-i... )
3b- run MS Installer Cleanup ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 )

I found no java nor flash entries, so I exited the MS utility without having made any changes.

4- restart
5- close all programs, including AV
6- install latest Java
7- restart, close all programs including AV
8- run flash activeX installer from adobe's website

this process got flash back in working order for me. again, the clear proof it was working was abc.com's video player actually working. Gametrailers.com usually did not work for me and now works, as well as BBC.com, which I read another user had issues with.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for a long time too. it started suddenly. today, i tried uninstalling flash player. but I am not so computer savy and I am so confused about what to do next. I am also afraid of starting to uninstall more things, like you specify, java, etc because i do not know if i will lose anything important or mess up my old computer even more. any suggestions? thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: hanerena
I have had this problem for a long time too. it started suddenly. today, i tried uninstalling flash player. but I am not so computer savy and I am so confused about what to do next. I am also afraid of starting to uninstall more things, like you specify, java, etc because i do not know if i will lose anything important or mess up my old computer even more. any suggestions? thanks,

If you are having the same problem that I had, then please follow the instructions I posted. You will not harm your computer in anyway by uninstalling or deleting the noted files. It is also recommended you find the official Adobe Flash Uninstaller (available by searching this website) to uninstall your flash installation. The rest of the step are self explanatory. If it works, awesome; if not, then I would imagine your issue is something different and I would continue to search these forums or google for the appropriate fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2008 Aug 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. But, I tried all thsi and it made no difference. Flash Player still does not work. I also went through and ran the subinacl again and still no difference. It works fine in firefox but not in IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2008 Aug 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had any problems with Flash player. Now, videos do not play on Comedy Central's websites (i.e. www.thedailyshow.com). The clips used to play fine. I can watch embedded clips, youtube clips, I can even watch the "full episode" clips on the website, just not the small clips. I get a blank white box. These clips played fine until the other day the box said to install the latest version of Flash player. I have tried everything listed on the Adobe website, and everything listed on this thread, including all the steps andy outlined. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleaned the registry, used SubInACL, etc. I am literally at my wits' end and not too pleased. I use firefox primarily, but I checked and it's not working on Internet Explorer either. Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2008 Aug 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey everyone. i had the same problem, but then i fixed it.

don't worry about unstilling the older verison it.

so after you download it go to your start menu click on the search bar and type in "system32" then click on that folder. after that scroll down and look for a folder called "macromed" and click on it there will be a folder in that called "flash" click on that. then you will see a file that is called "FlashUtil9f" click on that. when you open the file it will ask you for permission to download it and of course you say yes. and after that is done downloading it will say to restart the computer for newer verison to be useable.( it will not restart on it's own you have to restart the computer.) and there you have it a working flash player.

and to put it in PC terms [computer >local disk(C:) >windows >system32 > micromed > flash >FlashUtil9f]

enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2008 Aug 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all! lol314 thank you for your information. Unfortunately for me it didn't work.......I can not open up the file FlashUtil9f.........I got that far..........any one have any ideas from here??

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2008 Aug 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !!!! Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem. I have Vista Home Premium and have tried many times to download the flash payer. It says the installation was successful on the Adobe site. However, when I checked the control panel programs uninstall etc, although the Adobe flash player is listed there is no file size shown! I have tried following Adobe guidance searching for system 32 but nothing is found!
I note a comment about using Firefox instead of IE - can Firefox just be downloaded and used instead of IE?
Thanks for advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have down loaded Firefox and used this to download the flash player and it works! Hopefully, that solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Firefox can just be downloaded and installed, Go to:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2008 Aug 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got Flash to work after a tedious series of installs, uninstalls, virus scans ... and reboots and reboots and reboots.

I never touched my Java installation--no Java uninstall, reinstall or anything.

I have no idea what finally made Flash work. I sought guidance through various troubleshooting sites and forums, so it's just impossible to say what EXACTLY fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2008 Aug 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bekah
This is really frustrating to me also. I have followed all the same things you have to no avail. It is interesting that you are having the problem with firefox as well as IE. For some reason I am still able to get it to work in firefox and not in IE. This all started when Microsoft issued sp1 for vista but I see that some of the people having the problem are using XP. I am getting very frustrated with Adobe. WAKE UP ADOBE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: 1grnthmb
Hi Bekah
This is really frustrating to me also. I have followed all the same things you have to no avail. It is interesting that you are having the problem with firefox as well as IE. For some reason I am still able to get it to work in firefox and not in IE. This all started when Microsoft issued sp1 for vista but I see that some of the people having the problem are using XP. I am getting very frustrated with Adobe. WAKE UP ADOBE!!!!

It's hard to say who's to blame, but as you said it all started with VISTA. I never had much problems with XP. Anyways, I was sure I had fixed the problems a few times only to realize only some of the problems were fixed. My cousin followed andyp's instructions and I'm crossing my fingers but it's been over a week and still working fine. Now I hear MS is coming out with Microsoft 7??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2008 Aug 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol314,
Thank you for this info. It seemed to work at first but after having to reboot again for a different reason I found that it did flash player did not work again. I started a survey and it did a test and once again I was told that I needed to download the new version. But yet afterwards it told my it was there and then I was told again that it wasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2008 Aug 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me. I'm still having the same problem. It seems to be limited to that specific site though (Comedy Central).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2008 Aug 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having a similar issue and looking for an answer. I found that if you download Flash player 9 in ONE of your browsers it doesn't necessarily make it work in all. Ex: I downloaded it in Firefox and some of my programs and content gave me error messages saying it wasn't installed...after many installs, uninstalls etc, I found that I had to remove it and download it from IE, however now flash doesn't work in Firefox, I was actually wondering if I could download the version for firefox now without messing anything up. That would be 2 versions for the 2 different browsers.
I am not that computer savvy, I ran the windows installer to fix the registry and all that and did many other things before the download in IE made my programs work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried lol314's suggestion I did not have the FlashUtil9f file, but at least that post told me the path for the Flash program (by the way, its macromed in my folder, not micromed.) I clicked on the exe file and a window popped up saying I needed to update, so I let it update, then I manually restarted my computer. Next I clicked to open a swf file, and it still asked what program to use. This time I chose Firefox and Flash did start playing the file. It also played when I chose IE. But I think it should open my default browser and start playing automatically. I tried setting a file association to the swf extension, but now none of the exe files in the Flash folder activate the program. I'll try uninstalling and starting over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, duh . . . When I thought to checkmark the box under the list of programs that said, "Always use this program to open this kind of file" --now it does work automatically. I probably didn't need to, but I had already uninstalled and reinstalled the program before I figured that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I am understanding this correctly you set flash player to always start in Firefox even though you have IE as your default browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE VIDEOS ARE WORKING NOW!

I don't know if the new sites just fixed the problem or what, but now they are working.

I removed EVERYTHING on my computer that was a Norton product. I have a HP and Norton has never worked right with my computer. I'm gonna use Avira I think. But since doing that, everything works!! :)

Like I said, I don't know if Norton is the problem but I would try that if you have it on your computer and are still having problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines