• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does WebHelp support help-system-user defined bookmarks/favorites?

Nov 14, 2008 Nov 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if it is anyway possible to allow a user (not author) of a WebHelp help layout to be able to 'bookmark' topics that she/he commonly accesses so that each time the user opens up Help, they do not have to search, or browse for a topic. They simply can click on a 'favorite topics' hyperlink that would allow them to jump to a specific topic that they frequently need to reference (think of the way that you use 'favorites' in IE, or 'bookmarks' in Firefox). Can this be done with any RoboHelp7 layout type? I believe that Microsoft HTML Help supports this type of feature, but we would like to use something a little more 'robust' & 'modern'.

I know that the RoboHelp Authoring environment supports bookmarks, but this is a much different request.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is. Just add a favourite in the normal way. The problem is that if you or someone moves the topic around inside the project, the link no longer works.

BTW I'd change your profile nickname unless you want all sorts of offers of money from dodgy Nigerians and sexual favours from just about everywhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum-

Thanks for the help! I changed my screen name but something is all fouled up.

Ah-ha! Our developers have WebHelp opening in an IE window that does NOT have a menu bar, or access to a menu bar? Therefore there is no (easy) way for the users to 'bookmark' their favorite topic(s)! I think that we need to change how we are opening WebHelp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, zweeks

RoboHelp doesn't offer such functionality at the moment. At least not in the WebHelp and FlashHelp outputs. The functionality is present if you are creating a compiled .CHM file, but you said you are creating WebHelp.

Keep in mind that the browser offers a bookmarking feature. You could create a Skin toolbar button that would allow bookmarking the topic being displayed. The only problem with that is when the user re-displays the topic, it doesn't open in the whole WebHelp frameset. This may become confusing.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Colum, didn't see you standing there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r
Welcome to our community, zweeks

RoboHelp doesn't offer such functionality at the moment. At least not in the WebHelp and FlashHelp outputs. The functionality is present if you are creating a compiled .CHM file, but you said you are creating WebHelp.

Cheers... Rick

The ability for a user/reader to bookmark/favorite a specific topic (within their browser) would be an *extremely* useful feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp