Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

embedding google maps in document not working

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm trying to embed a map I made in Indesign for a book I'm writing.  It took me hours to make this map, so I really want to make this work.

I've tried to copy and paste the embed code google gives you.  I got a java script error.

I tried to use the web content overlay 2 different ways.  First I clicked on "share" and pasted the link from google maps.  I put that in the url box on web overlay.  Exported to epub and interactive pdf.  No workey.  Then I tried the same thing, but this time I clicked on the browser and copied the link.  No workey.

Is there some magical way to get a better embed code from the page itself?  It's wierd, because I put the same code on my website and it works just fine.

I really appreciate any help.  I've looked on the forums and I'm not alone, but their solutions were old and didn't help.

Thanks!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As far as I know, you just can't import/place an image from the web into Indd. (But I would love confirmation from XML professionals)

FYI: For a static image (i.e. JPG), you can paste the url as a path in the Place window, but it's not a dynamic link to this url.

Indesign first downloads the image into your Temporary Internet Files folder then links it. It sure is a dodgy method and it's not what you're looking for anyway.

So, I'm sorry to tell you this, but you must forget about hoping importing a Google map...

The easiest solution would probably to "print" your map as a PDF. Then placing this PDF as a graphic.

Now, if you have to deal with many maps, you can also consider using a Geographic Information System, such as QGIS.

Open layers plugin allows you to dynamically import Google maps (and many more).

But at the end, you'll still have to export your map as a graphic (PDF, JPG...) and place it in Indesign.

Hope that helps

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A google map took you hours? I'm afraid I don't understand that.

What version of InDesign and what operating system? How are you viewing the EPUB?

As far as using the embed code, that should work with fixed layout epub. The javascript error sounds like an old bug that you can usually ignore. It won't work in PDF and the overlays are for DPS/AEM Mobile only.

An alternative is using a Bing Map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me hours to make this map because it has 500 listings which I methodically sourced from gov records.  It's a map of Napa wineries that you can peruse while making your itinerary.  It works perfectly on my website.   The whole point is to have an interactive map that people can click on the listing and go to the website of the winery so they can see if they might want to visit.

I should be able to do this in Indesign.  I've watched several Lynda.com videos where they do it.  They basically embed a usable webpage into a catalog using a web content overlay.  The user is able to click on the webpage and it worked for them.  I'm using CS6, and I'm doing a flowable epub that I intend to sell on Amazon and on my website.  It's a tourism guide.

I'm afraid I don't really understand the DPS thing.  It looks like it's for apps, not ebooks.  And it looks like one more way to make money for Adobe.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPS is pretty much dead and buried so forget.

You will never get this to work on a reflowable EPUB. It will work with fixed layout but you can't do fixed layout with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Amazon doesn't use ePub, it uses the mobi format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, I realize that, but I can export to mobi and to epub from the same indesign doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s irrelevant anyway. You cannot use that map in a reflowable epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the free Kindle Previewer to convert an ePub to mobi (but not all features that you want will necessary work on typical reading devices).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just put the Indesign kindle extension on Adobe and it spits it out just fine.  I'm gonna export to epub for sale on my website and I'll export to kindle to amazon.  I'm glad I have an answer about the map.  I guess I'll just put a link to my website in the book and people can use the map there.  Probably better anyway since it forces them see the rest of my content. and possibly follow me for future stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be worth using FlightDeck to check: FlightDeck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines