• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop truncates the file name...

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photo files, their names are catalog numbers, eg 62.003.jpg, etc. Unfortunately, when saving for example to the internet, photoshop truncates the name to 62.jpg. This causes me many problems with automating certain processes. I guess it's a fault in the name, but can you fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more details? Are you on a mac or windows platform? Where on the internet are you saving photo files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a PC, Windows 10 (Win 7 has the same). Writing to the Internet - I mean - the command Save to the Internet (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Save For Web (Legacy) command removes everything after the first dot by default - this is a legacy tool, and some legacy systems did not play well with filenames containing multiple dots.

You can change the name manually and it will work. However, if you migrate your workflow to the more up to date "Export As" tool, you'll find that the filenames are maintained. You can learn about File > Export As... here:

Export layers and artboards in Photoshop

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a good idea to use periods within the image name.

Gets confused with the period before the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need a separator, underscore is the way to go. Always safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For image files, I agree… However for computer names, underscores may be problematic (not the case here, just an interesting factoid that I once stumbled over in other software)!

“The computer name should conform to the DoD Internet Host Table Specification (RFC 952). Note that underscores are invalid characters”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this well, but here I have a situation where it just has to be (old CRP system).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Export - I do not like it. Have you tried using Export As for automation? Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try the Image Processor Pro script which has a Save for Web setting.

ps-scripts - Browse /Image Processor Pro/v3_2 betas at SourceForge.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moved to Photoshop forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines