• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 Unable to Connect

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initial Activation with Serial Number:  1st it says that it's being used on 2 or more computers. I verified with adobe that that wasn't possible because I only have a macbook pro (photoshop works there) and the imac (where I'm trying to use it).

Initially I was able to launch photoshop but was just getting this message, so I contacted support. The rep had me delete host files and then finally said to reinstall.

Photoshop Error Msg.jpeg

Initial Error Msg.jpeg

Above is the error msg I now get in addition to the 1st image. Called support and they verified that according to their records, it had not reached maximum and they showed it only on 1 other computer (the laptop).

What I've tried so far:

-Everything under the troubleshoot guide

-Contacted customer service via chat and telephone. They started to end convo's with "I must inform you that we no longer provide support for CS4 or earlier, please use the forums"

-When I searched forums regarding the now activation error problem it says to contact customer support. (so I'm chasing my tail here basically)

I don't know what else to say other than I own the software and have for years, it is only on one (rapidly dying) macbook pro and I need to make sure I don't lose the software. It is not on any other computers and I've verified that that it has not reached it's "limit" with support. No idea why this is a problem or how to fix it.

Thank you for any and all help ❤️

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Conclusion: Apple computers are not compatable any previous Adobe software according to a member of the sales team.

Hope this saves someone a month of their time, more than 15 uninstalls & reinstalls, allowing some random person remote connection, downloading cleaner tools, deleting files, and messing around in terminal windows. Not to to mention somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+  hours with "customer support".  Could have just told me to use a windows computer. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While  support cannot offer CS4 Tech support, they can reset your activations. Please ask for that specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They won't do it. They just keep having me download and re-intall over and over again. Customer service is terrible. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll get this to an Adobe Staff member. Someone should be with you.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Courtney,

The activation count has been restored, I find that you have an upgrade serial number, are you facing the issue in providing the full version serial number? Please let us know.

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ann bens I've read it. Don't see how it applies to this situation only because I haven't deactivated it from the laptop and it's never been on any other computer of mine. But, thank you for trying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Courtney I am sorry that you are facing errors when attempting to activate Photoshop CS4 on Mac OS 10.12.  To confirm are you utilizing the registered serial number under your account at http://www.adobe.com/?  You can find complete details on how to locate your registered serial number at Find your serial number.

If so then can you please describe the process you went through for installing Photoshop CS4?  Did you download the installation files from Download Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) products​ and perform a new install on this computer?  Or did you migrate any files, folders, Adobe applications from your previous computer to this computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

SERIAL #: Yes, my serial and registration has been verified and reverified via phone and chat.

PROCESS: I downloaded it using an external hard drive from the laptop after following those instructions. Initially, I was able to see the program launched in the background like normal but the errors pictured in my original post prevented me from going any further.

I contacted adobe support. The first agent had me delete everything from the desktop and external hard drive related to photoshop. They also had me delete host files then they had me reinstall. It came up with the same error msgs but this time the program would not populate at all in the background. They then told me that they couldn't help because they no longer supported that that software and referred me to forums.

After forums searching I called. Agent verified my serial number, account etc. and told me they couldn't help with Photoshop CS4 because they no longer had support help offered for the product and referred me to forums.

Every single agent (sometimes twice in a session) had me take it off and reinstall all through links your agents supplied. Several agents asked for pictures of host files but despite the repeated reinstalls one of the 3 host files did not reinstall at any point. One had me run a cleaner. Pretty much all of them said something along the lines of forums, troubleshoot guide or a senior tech will contact me.

Every download file comes from the link you've provided (as well as some I didn't recognize) under the >Photoshop- CS4 tree.

FRUSTRATIONS: No one has contacted me to set up a chat session, every time I chat a new case number is generated and even if I provide the previous case number I still get a new case number. Your agents have set up remote access to my computer, crashed or froze the computer and then closed out the conversation so I had to contact back again, re-explain--go back through uninstall and reinstall and rinse and repeat.

I don't know what else to say. Even here in this thread I was told someone would contact me after the weekend and still no one has. Then, I check the thread tonight and a different staff member is asking questions that are all contained in my profile if one were to have a look... including all of the conversations and case numbers with tech support. Isn't this why we have registrations and online profiles? To provide streamlined information, service and support, product purchases etc..?

This is as hokey as contacting a tech support agency number that comes with a browser freezing alert message. I own the software for life and now I want to use my second license on a second computer. In the future, if I upgrade my computer or laptop or whatever, I will want to deactivate on the old computer(s) and reactivate and new computers. Forever... and I don't want to have to go through this process with you guys every time, forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information Courtney.  From your recent post it has been a very frustrating experiencing indeed. 

I am very concerned when you mentioned that you downloaded CS4 from an external hard drive Coutrney.  Does this mean that you copied the DMG file, that contain the Creative Suite 4 installation files, to the hard drive on your computer?  Or did you copy the Application files from the External hard drive to this Mac running Mac OS 10.12 Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for understanding Jeff.

PROCESS: 1) I used command + drag to move application to the external from the laptop (main source used: How to Transfer Applications From Mac Onto an External Drive - YouTube) 

2) Then, I hooked the external to the desktop and tried to launch directly from the external. That's when I got the first error msgs. The original agent I spoke to then had me delete, install ect. (you read the other bit so I won't waste your time repeating:).

ORIGINAL GOAL of EXD: My laptop is failing and I read up on better (and easier) ways to use and store applications/software and files. Basically, going forward I'm going to store these important applications, software items (related pictures, videos etc.) on an external drive rather than the internal drive. For me, this will not just save space on the internal but will also mean I can be more mobile as well as ensure a computer failure doesn't restrict me from working).

PEEMTIVE: JIC you are going to ask where I would rather put my copy/program--- the external drive would still be my preference. From what I've read it's the best way to preserve space, stay organized, as well as provides the ability to keep going even if there is a computer problem.

Hope this answered your question(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you Courtney that was my concern that the files may have been copied to the computer.  This is likely why you are facing so many unexpected errors when trying to use Creative Suite 4; including the activation error in message in the original post of this discussion.

While it is possible to perform a custom install of Adobe Creative Suite 4 the software should always be installed instead of copied.  Adobe applications do not keep all of the required files within their Application package.  During the installation process additional files are copied to different locations.  Even copying these files will not usually resolve in successfully opening the Adobe software as the file permissions are typically incorrect.

It should be possible to recover your current installation of macOS 10.12 Sierra Courtney.  Completing the following steps should allow you to completely remove the necessary files from the computer:

1. Run all available uninstallers in the Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers folder
  2. Download and run the CC Cleaner Tool and choose the Clean all option - Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Once you have ran the uninstallers, and then ran the CC Cleaner Tool, you should then be in a position to reinstall Photoshop CS4 for Mac OS successfully Courtney.  If you need a fresh copy of the installation files they are available for download at Download Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) products..

At the time of installation you are welcome to choose a custom install location Courtney.  If you wish to install the application to your external drive you can do so during that time.  Please be aware that licensing files and shared resources will continue to be stored on the primary drive. 

Finally Courtney, I would also recommend installing on the primary drive so that it will not be required to have an external drive connected to use Photoshop CS4. You can use the external drive to store larger files such as music, videos, or image files.

If you have any additional questions please update this discussion Courtney.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Followed the instructions. "Fix host file" is still under cleanup tool list and when clicked doesn't appear to do anything. However, I followed all instructions listed here and on the cleaner tool page. Once reinstalled when I get to the registration page it doesn't appear to read me as online and still says it will register when I'm next online, then when proceeding through activation it returns the same two error msgs originally posted/pictured in my original post.

That didn't work (also, yes I checked custom install to applications and no, I did not even bother with the external drive stuff)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks for the update Courtney. I am still concerned a bit concerned that the previous copying of CS4 may still be causing problems with activating.  Even though the steps are listed as for Creative Suite 3 can you please remove the cache.db file as discussed in Resolve "temporary activation expired" error for CS3 and Acrobat 8 Courtney?

If you continue to encounter the activation error then can you please download and run the log collector tool from Log Collector Tool .  This will collect the local installation, and activation logs, on the computer for additional investigation.  If you can please send those files to jwright@adobe.com it would be appreciated Courtney.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Did as instructed and now it's asking for the original CS serial number. It said if I didn't have it to go back and select "trial" so I did. Now it's looking for CS or the trial expires in 30 days. I don't see my original CS serial # in my adobe account. Am I supposed to find this on the laptop because I'm pretty sure it overwrote the original files during the upgrade.

Closer but not there yet, what's next?

Also, thank you for your efforts, today feels like there was at least a little change and that's is nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Courtney it sounds like you are making progress.  I reviewed the account, associated with the e-mail address you used to post to this forum, and I show a Photoshop CS4 for Mac serial number registered under the account.  You can find information on how to locate your registered serial number at Find your serial number Courtney.

The serial number itself is for an upgrade for Photoshop CS4 but the serial number should be accepted without asking for a previous version.

Please try the serial number under your account at http://www.adobe.com/ if you are asked to enter an eligible serial number then I would recommend contacting our support team directly to locate the software you upgraded Photoshop CS4 from.  Since it is a Photoshop CS4 upgrade that would indicate you had an older Adobe product that you were upgrading from Courtney. 

If you do need to locate the serial number from your older Adobe product then please contact our support team directly at Contact Customer Care​.  Please be prepared with any alternate e-mail addresses or phone numbers that the software may have been registered under.

If you have any additional questions, or encounter additional errors, please do not hesitate to update this discussion Courtney.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The serial number itself is for an upgrade for Photoshop CS4 but the serial number should be accepted without asking for a previous version"

Then again, we are still at square one and the only thing we accomplished is confusing the situation more. This entire issue was because adobe thinks my serial number has been maxed out and now a new problem has been added after following your instructions.

I have spoken to more than 10 "customer care" agents about the original activation problem--you've read and seem to understand my ongoing frustrations with them-- why in the WORLD would I now trust that service to trouble shoot two problems?

Let's try this: We have verified that I own the upgrade and in order to get the upgrade I clearly had the software previously. I clearly do not have access to whatever computers your system thinks I've used to max out my serial number. I need 1 activation on my most current computer (the desktop). Let's work from there. Please reset whatever needs to be reset and provide me with the most effective instructions for how to download my upgraded version to my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry Courtney but I do not understand your most recent response.  Did you remove and reinstall Photoshop CS4 or not?  Until you remove the damaged licensing data you will not be able to successfully utilize Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrades usually ask for two serial numbers.

One for the upgrade and one of the version upgraded from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is true Ann but when I decoded Courtney serial number it indicated it should be treated as a full version.  We often provided these type of upgrades when someone was upgrading from a software title which may not be accepted by the installer.  Examples include, but are not limited too, Photoshop Elements and Pagemaker.  For Elements customers we have had promotions to allow them to upgrade to Photoshop and as far as the installer knows they are using a full version serial number.

Courtney as discussed in message #17 if you are asked for a qualifying serial number then please contact our support team directly.  You will need to be prepared with any alternate e-mail addresses or phone numbers that the previous eligible software title is registered under.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what I'm missing here in all this... I am so very confused.

There is only one account with one serial number purchased verifiably through Adobe using the adobe account. You've validated it, phone and chat support have validated it. There are no previous email, phone #s etc as all of my Adobe account information is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Courtney the error you are experiencing is related to activation.  The only need to enter the serial number is during the installation process.   Since you copied  Photoshop CS4 to this computer previously you were not prompted to enter a serial number but instead are facing the activation error you posted.

Have you successfully removed and reinstalled Photoshop CS4, as discussed in message #13, Courtney?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's been removed and reinstalled (countless times at this point). It is currently uninstalled as of right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect Courtney.  If you have also run the CC Cleaner Tool then you should be able to successfully reinstall Photoshop CS 4.  If you continue to face an activation error then please see message #15 for next steps to take.

If you have any additional questions Courtney please update this discussion.  If you can include a screen shot of the current point of confusion it would be appreciated.  Tips on how to post a screen shot can be found at FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're going in circles. The cleaner tool lists 1 option: "fix host file". I've selected cleanup for that item (again, several times at this point). Nothing has changed. Here is the photo: ACCCTool Fix Host File.jpeg

Even after selecting CleanUp, nothing appears to happen and my only other option is to quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines