• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old head on old shoulders!

Contributor ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting a new college course next week and I'm quite apprehensive as the average age of the students is 18-22 and I'm the grand old age of 48. Any other late developers, or constant learners out there doing something similar?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are we talking Photoshop or belly dancing?

never too old mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, 48 is quite young!

I teach at a community college and also at Adobe Authorized Training Centers. You may be one of the few who is not multi-tasking (i.e., looking at your phone) during class and are therefore at an advantage!

Arrive early and get a good seat.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Alma+Strutt  wrote

I'm the grand old age of 48.

You young whipper snapper!

Everyday is a new learning experience of one kind or another.

As jane-e said, have fun with it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your encouraging words. My first class is this afternoon - 2D animation, so quite exciting, Hope it finishes in time for me to make my belly dancing for beginners class!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooh animation! I generally prefer animated films etc. to live action especially as they have a distinct art style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

theres no such thing as old, is only a mental state .. and many of us stay young just by never retireing and constantly developing ourselfes. never retire, our worst enemy is not age is retirement. lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, 48 is young. I had a great-aunt who never stopped taking classes - into her 90's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title should be young head on semi-old shoulders... One is just hitting their stride at 48 and this carries on for years to come- or haven't you heard the old is young again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well sometimes our mind starts thinking as a childs mind even thou we approach 50 or more lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alma, 42 here!

I'm a PS retoucher, that's my job: but in the last ~8 years, I've started teaching myself software development in my spare time (aka night-time) – to date, almost 50% of my incomes are related to this side-business.

I've never participated in actual classes, but I took several online courses and I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that I've always had (and after my 40th birthday more than before) the feeling I was *unbearably slow*.

Part of this comes from the fact that I have my own, daytime, regular job that keeps me worried – besides family and stuff – so it looks like there isn't enough space in my brain to really sink in what I'm studying, nor time slots to keep concentrated.

Not to mention the fact that software development progresses at a very fast pace, and in this business kids are awfully fast learners; one (e.g. me) may soon feel old, rusty and of little use.

These months, I'm approaching machine learning (I was right now procrastinating very late at night the reading of a particularly tough chapter), but you know what?

It is *fun*. Everything else: doesn't really matter.

So keep doing what you do, and as physics Nobel Price winner Richard Feynman once put it: "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" 🙂

Cheers from Italy!

Davide Barranca - PS developer and author
www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines