• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelation in Premiere Pro Export

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While viewing my project in premiere pro in the preview window, everything appears to be just fine. However, when I export the video it looks terrible and pixelated: I don't even have a word to describe what happens. If I pause the playback marker over the clip it also appears pixelated. The only time it doesn't is when playing back in premiere pro.

I know this isn't the footage I'm using because it has happened with all different types of video formats, frame rates, etc. It must be something with the project settings or something within premiere pro. Please see the screenshots below of what the video looks like vs. what it's supposed to look like. Please advise with how to fix.

no.PNGyes.PNG

And again here:

no1.PNGyes1.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

You have many issues going on there. Source video is 24p (23.976 frames per second) but Sequence is set up as 29.97fps (30p). Then you have interlaced video (lower) enabled. Not good. Change Sequence to 23.976fps and progressive, then also export as 24p. Keep things consistent for best results. You might also set audio to 48k to match source. Everything is wrong 😉

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exporting your sequence at the same resolution as your source footage?

Also, are you exporting at a high enough bitrate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff. Thanks for offering to help. I am exporting it as the same. I'm currently exporting at 30 bitrate and I exported it as a raw quicktime movie and it did the same thing. I'm thinking the issue is bigger than bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of your export settings summary, like this example below:

ME Export settings.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are exporting a square 1080 x 1080 interlaced file, is this your intention?

Interlaced material will not display correctly on computer screens which are progressive.

They will only playback correctly on interlaced devices such as tv sets, but your pixel dimensions are not a standardized format.

Premiere works around this by surpassing a field in the Program Monitor:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 2.10.03 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export as a square, but it may be in the interlacing vs. progressive settings. How do I switch to exporting in progressive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prog.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Exports Settings, set the Field Order to Progressive:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 2.23.28 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed it to progressive, still nothing. Changed the rendering settings to software only. Still nothing.

Keep in mind, in addition to when exported, it shows the pixelated preview when paused over the images in the program monitor, just not when it's playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Use Previews checked on your export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try starting a brand new project, import the entire project file that's not working, and see if the issue persists in the program monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does. My last three projects that I've worked on in premiere have all had this happen. Using different footage and different shoots and everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the properties of the source footage you are using?

You can click on a source clip in the Project Panel to select it, and once selected, right click (control click) on the selected clip and choose Properties . . .

If you could post a screen shot of the properties, please, like this example:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 2.48.57 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the problem is, Maybe someone else can help you.

Can you post a screen shot of your sequence settings? (Menu Sequence > Sequence Settings)

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had the computer for a couple months, it's a $3,000 computer built specifically for video editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Ann Bens advice to check your graphics card driver.

I would also uncheck the Maximum Bit Depth, Maximum Render Quality, and Composite in Linear Color.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have many issues going on there. Source video is 24p (23.976 frames per second) but Sequence is set up as 29.97fps (30p). Then you have interlaced video (lower) enabled. Not good. Change Sequence to 23.976fps and progressive, then also export as 24p. Keep things consistent for best results. You might also set audio to 48k to match source. Everything is wrong 😉

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update you graphiccard driver or roll one back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try:

1. Try exporting from Media Encoder (queue it) and see if that does the same thing. Also, try changing the video renderer to Software only.
  2. Instead of exporting an H.264 MP4, export a Quicktime format using the H.264 codec, and keep the same settings. See if that does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and i switched performance to software encoding and it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, the same happened to me, turns out the export video dimensions were different to the original. I had to increase the level and change them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines