• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting multiple filters in a group

Participant ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project where topic content contains various build tags. I also have various filter criteria where each criteria selection excludes a specific build tag. For example, Database Server excludes the Database_Server tag:

1.PNG

Likewise, Process Server excludes the Process_Server tag:

2.PNG

In my topic, I have various bits of information illustrated here where each line has a corresponding tag:

3.png

When I generate this output and allow multiple selections to be made in a group, the content seems to filter correctly when only one filter criteria is checked:

4.png

But when I select two checkboxes, the first tag that was filtered out is shown again:

5.PNG

In this case, there are two filters being applied and each should exclude a single tag, but they seem to be cancelling each other out.  When I uncheck the first checkbox, the second filter works properly:

6.PNG

Is this the correct behavior? I want to be able to filter out tagged content when the related checkbox is checked, but it seems like it does not work this way when excluding content. If I did it the other way and had the content only display when the checkbox was checked, it would work, but I need to be able to filter out information for this feature to be useful. I know the filtering logic has other flaws, so is this expected behavior or a defect?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's too late here to look at this now but look at the Employee Care sample

project. There's a topic in that about filtering.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Employee Care only has single filter examples/information. I looked at the Travel the Whirls sample project and it has an option for multiple filter selecting, but none of the filters use exclude tags in the example, so the samples don't seem to address this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally filters choose what to show. For example, if you have something that relates to Database Server, the filter should list items tagged with Database Server. Likewise, if you enable Process Server, you would see items that are tagged with Process Server.

However, I note that your expressions are set to exclude things. I just tested this type of setup and I'm seeing what you are. At least, I believe I am. I've recorded a video to demonstrate. See if it helps. Also, visit tracker.adobe.com and report this issue as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not coming back earlier but the forums have been down all day for me.

I know Employee Care only has a single filter but did you read the topic, that is what I thought might be useful? Also I have discovered today that an incorrect version of Employee Care is still shipping with RoboHelp. Either download the correct version from my site or in the Responsive Layout apply the Exclude from all filters expression before you generate anything.

Now that the forums are back up, I will take another look at this tomorrow. Best not to look at it now as my wife has just taken me out for a birthday meal.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I need you to clarify something for me. Typically if I go to retailer sites and select Home Entertainment I would see options such as Radio, TV, Home Cinema etc. If I select TV I would expect to see their TVs. Your logic seems to be the reverse, If I select Database Server, I am going to see everything except the very option I have chosen. It would help me to know why the apparent reverse logic here. Am I missing something?

There are two ways of applying filtering but both work on the basis of what to include, what you want the user to see. Let's take an example of a project that has build tags but no build expressions have yet been created. When you go to the screen where you set the criteria, you will see the tags in the top pane and the bottom pane (expressions) will be blank.

Now create a build expression and you will note the tags used are no longer available in the upper pane. That's because you cannot use the Tags alone with a build expression option that might conflict.

You can either create further tags and apply those to topics and use them in the upper pane. So you set whatever and if the user only selects say A, they will see topics that are tagged A alone or tagged A along with any of the other options that were in the upper pane. If the topic has the A tag, it will appear regardless of any other tag.

Now lets look at your choice of using build expressions.

• When your user selects Database Server only, that option is removed from your image on the right. Correct based on your criteria.
  • When your user selects Process Server only, that option is removed from your image on the right. Correct based on your criteria.

Now when they choose both, both options appear. That is not incorrect. With both options they are asking the help to display anything that meets either criterion and one says show Database Server and one says show Process Server. The display is meeting the criteria set.

I am not sure that creating new tags just for filtering would help. Perhaps create a dummy project with just say six topics and three tags would make it easier to get your mind around this and see what is possible.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I need to be able to exclude tags is because sometimes content is applicable for one or more options, but not every option. For example, when listing supported software, Windows 7 is supported for a Client machine, but not a Database Server, Process Server, or Web Server. So when you check the various options, it needs to be able to exclude unsupported options. When you check Client machine, it should list Windows 7 among the supported operation systems, but if you also check Process Server, then it should not include Windows 7. It would not work to simply have it include supported options because if you checked both Client machine and Process Server, it would list Windows 7 among the options, which would not be correct for the Process Server. The goal is to have it list only the supported options for all selections. In the example below, all the highlighted options would be filtered out and leave only the common supported option.

7.PNG

"Now create a build expression and you will note the tags used are no longer available in the upper pane." - I don't think this is true, or at least that's not what I see. If you use a tag in a build expression, it remains in the upper pane.

It seems to me that if you can use expressions with this feature then you should be able to exclude tags. If you are allowed to multi-select, then why shouldn't you be able to add additional tags to exclude with each selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now create a build expression and you will note the tags used are no longer available in the upper pane." - I don't think this is true, or at least that's not what I see. If you use a tag in a build expression, it remains in the upper pane.

Yes correct. It remains in the upper pane until used as a criterion. Apologies.

Build expressions can be set to do whatever is required of that expression. The problem I see you facing is that you have one filter that says Database Server should not be shown and another that says Process Server should not be shown. However Database Server requires that Process Server should be shown and Process Server requires that Database Server should be shown. Thus each alone works but if you select both options the Database Server filter is being told to show Process Server and Process Server is being told to show Database Server so you see both. Both are doing their job.

It's not a bug, it is perfectly logical, albeit not what you want.

if you checked both Client machine and Process Server, it would list Windows 7 among the options, which would not be correct for the Process Server.

OK I understand what you are trying to achieve. Am I wrong in thinking the problem is that when someone selects the three options you have shown, it's not clear which option and which system go together? In your example the user has chosen Client and Windows 7 is valid. If it didn't show that, it would be wrong. The problem is you cannot see which of the OS's relates to which option.

Perhaps if that information were in a table where the columns for each Role with the OS in the rows below, then when just those three roles were chosen, just those three columns would show with the OS for each being clear.

You are saying the common OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 should show with those options. Surely the client machines don't support that.

What I am trying to do here to help you is explain that if you select option A in a filtering system it will show everything that meets that criteria. Similarly if you select option B, it will will show everything that meets that criteria. Select both and you get the content for both of them.

Prior to filtering being added, your content would have shown all the operating systems without knowing which applied to which, unless I am misunderstanding. Filtering isn't going to correct that. It can filter out any options that don't apply to any of the options but it can't make it clear what applies to what if that wasn't there in the first place.

I hope that clarifies things but come back if not.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is to narrow down the options for someone trying to determine what they need for a system with the selected roles. Windows Server 2012 can run the Client applications, and Process Servers often have Client applications installed for administrative tasks. Of course, if you did select a combination where no overlapping options existed, you would see nothing, or preferably a tagged message indicating that the selected combination was not supported.

I understand how you're explaining why it works the way it does. I just disagree that it should work that way. It's not intuitive or even very useful that way. My expressions are not even saying to include anything, only exclude. If it can't resolve a set of NOT operators to a common set, then it's not very useful. This is just a simple example of what we'd like to do with this feature, but our processes are complicated and would vary based on such criteria.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted a bug report. I'd appreciate any votes for this. Thanks.

Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got my vote as after my own experimenting I do believe it's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp