• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Editing/Corrections

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have adobe acrobat on my ipad4 and I had to make corrections/edits to a book using adobe. After I finished the editing I was supposed to send the corrected book via email to the publishing house who were going to add the amendments and then print a few copies. To be honest, I didn't really like the editing/correcting features in adobe (sorry) but the publishing house asked me to use adobe to do it. Having finished all the corrections, I sent it via email to the publishing house. This is what I did:- I clicked share file, share flattened copy and then sent it. I was concerned that my corrections would not be received properly especially since adobe warned me that comments etc may be viewable but not editable if sent via email. I felt that sending the flattened copy might be the best option. One of my main concerns was that they wouldn't be able to open the comment balloons, but also would they see the corrections? I know that the graphic artist who prints these books at the publishing house is very good and thorough at his job. However, a few printed books were sent to me just the other day and not one of my corrections was in the final printed version. I am disappointed that the corrections were not made and the publishing house are disappointed that the final version does not contain the corrections. Perhaps the fault lies with me or perhaps with the publishing house. I don't know. I would be very grateful if someone could please advise me on how to re-send the book so that the publishing house can see and (possibly) edit my corrections. The document is still saved with the corrections in adobe on my ipad. N.B. this is my first time using adobe and sending a document.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should definitely not send a flattened file. The publishing house must be able to clearly find the mark-ups, probably using an automatic system; they aren't going to look at each page for marks.  Viewable but not editable is essentially useless, you were absolutely right to be worried. However... if you send an email clearly saying you're sending corrections and they find none, they might have said. Are you sure the email actually arrived? To be honest you might need to do this on Mac or Windows, the iPad software is very basic. You should, for any future project, send a sample and have them confirm it's OK. This is normal even for the very experienced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering so quickly and for giving such useful advice. I began this book in word and was quite happy using that but the publisher wanted it to be corrected and sent using adobe (via email). I told them my concerns about whether they would be able to view the corrections but they assured me that they would let me know if there was a problem. Yes, I should have sent a sample first as you suntested. I will know for he future! II will contact the publisher again but I'm still stuck with how to get the corrected book to them (especially if they insist on adobe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The publishing world runs on PDF. The reason they don't want to deal with Word files is that depending on your operating system, the version of Word that is installed, the fonts that are installed, and what your default printer is, the document will look differently on different systems. The PDF document always looks the same (that's what the "P" in PDF stands for: "P"ortable)

Ideally you would send the marked up (and unflattened) document - as was suggested - from a desktop computer. If that is not an option, and if you still have the marked up copy (not the flattened version), then send that from your iPad. If you don't have the unflattened version anymore, then the only way I see to do this is by taking the flattened version and going through it one page at a time and then marking up where you've already added comments (which are now just static PDF content). Put an arrow that points to the previous comment, or draw a box around it, and then send that version to the publisher. But let them know that this is the way you are pointing to your comments, and that they will have to actually look at the static PDF page to find out what your comments are.

You may also want to talk to them to find out exactly what they are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Karl for your very helpful reply. I still have the unflattened copy of the document so have sent that to the publisher clicking 'share file' then 'share original'. I might try sending the flattened version again if that doesn't work.  If neither work, I'll speak again with the publisher to try and find a solution. Incidentally, I'm only using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I sent the unflattened document and the publisher can see the corrections so that's really good. Thanks for advising to do that. I really don't know what happened the first time I sent them but from what I gather they could see the corrections but, as the publisher told me, a previous version was possibly sent to print by accident. As a matter of interest, yesterday, I sent the corrected unflattened document to my email inbox and when I opened it from my email inbox, I couldn't see any of the corrections!

As you suggested, I hope to use adobe on a desktop for future projects of this size. Thanks for your help Test Screen Name and Karl Heinz Kremer. From an absolute adobe beginner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines