Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script for Linking Images with Url's from a Spreadsheet

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to using scripts in InDesign, but I need to write one specifically for a catalog I'm working on. I have successfully imported all of the product information and images from a .csv file using data merge. Each page has 6 products, and each product takes up one row with four columns. I am needing to make a digital version of this catalog that allows the customer to click on the image of any product and have it lead them to that product on the company website.

I have all of the product urls in a .csv spreadsheet that are sorted accordingly to each product, but I am at a loss on how to write a script that will pull these urls from the spreadsheet and link them to the product images in the document.

I am using InDesign CC 2017, and Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 15.33

If anyone is able to help or even remotely point me in the right direction on what to do it would be greatly appreciated!!

All the best,

Megan

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Auto hyperlink script (by Nobrainer Scripting) may come in handy to you. You can save the csv-file as txt leaving only product names and URLs separated by tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kasyan,
This script sounds perfect for the project I'm working on! I'm having some issues making it work though and was hoping you could help. If I'm keeping the txt filed named the exact same do I need to change anything in the script?
Thanks!
Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

No, you don't have to interfere in the script; the user is supposed to edit the txt-file only.

However, if your project has some specific requirements, the script may need some adjustments.

Regards,
Kasyan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.29.41 AM.png
Hi Kasyan,

I'm getting the above error when I try and run the script... any ideas?

Thanks,
Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you don't have the character style named "hyperlink" in the document.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do but I've had to manually put it in (it wasn't automatically in my character styles)

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script doesn't add it automatically. I'm not the author of the script so that's the way Nobrainer Scripting designed it.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kas sorry hopefully last question!

So I've gotten the script to work on one of my indesign documents and was hoping to use it on another one but when I do I'm getting an error message saying "This name is already in use by another object" I have tried making a copy and changing the name of the jsx file as well as the txt file but am still getting the same error!

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Monica,

I remember I encountered and solved this problem in the past, but at the moment I can't recreate it.

Probably the document already has hyperlinks (e.g. you already run the script on it) and it attempts to use the found text (source) which is already taken by another hyperlink. You can't do this manually so it's impossible to do by script as well. The screenshot illustrates the situation:

24-09-2017 10-28-36.png

But this is only my guess. I can't give you a more definite answer without seeing the document.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it! Just had to make the hyperlinks character style all lower case! Thanks for the help!!

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello here is a code that I started to regroup because I will also be led to do the same

Bonjour voici un code que j'ai commence à regroupé car je serai aussi amené à faire la même chose

var imgs = app.activeDocument.allGraphics;  

$.writeln (imgs.length);

for (var i = 0; i < imgs.length; i++) {

// imgs.verticalScale = 92;
        //imgs.horizontalScale = 92;
        //imgs.fit(FitOptions.FRAME_TO_CONTENT);
       // imgs[0].parent.appliedObjectStyle = "LeStyle";
       // imgs[0].parent.applyObjectStyle( "LeStyle" );
       $.writeln(imgs.parent.appliedObjectStyle.name);
       $.writeln(imgs.itemLink.filePath);//  = app.activeDocument.objectStyles.itemByName("LeStyle"); // Faire controle
       $.writeln(imgs.itemLink.name);//  = app.activeDocument.objectStyles.itemByName("LeStyle"); // Faire controle
    try{
    myHyperlinkURL = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkURLDestinations.add('http://www.apple.com');
    myHyperlinkSource = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkPageItemSources.add(imgs.parent);
    myHyperlink= app.activeDocument.hyperlinks.add(myHyperlinkSource,myHyperlinkURL);
    myHyperlink.visible=false;
    }
        catch(myError){
}

}//

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines